Hope Solo's Insane Save and Other GIFs from Day 13 of the London Olympics
A big day for Olympic darlings Usain Bolt and the U.S. women's soccer team.
- The U.S. has competed in every Olympic women's soccer gold medal match since the IOC added the event in 1996. Would the U.S. prevail like they did in Atlanta, Athens, and Beijing? Or would they have to settle for silver like they did in 2000 in Sydney? Not if New Jersey-born midfielder Carli Lloyd had anything to say about it. Here she is knocking a header early in the first half to put the U.S. up 1-0 against Japan.
- But Lloyd wasn't done:
- Meanwhile, U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo had a number of great saves that day...
- But none quite like this one, which prevented Japan from making it a tied game late in the match:
- Sadly, many Americans took to Twitter following the match to make offensive, unfunny jokes about "paying Japan back for Pearl Harbor." We won't dwell on these tweets except to post this from Hawaii resident Gene Park:
- USAIN BOLT WINS 200MIt may sound like just another race, but by winning the 200-meter race, Usain Bolt becomes the first man ever to win two titles at that distance. That brings Usain's career medal count to four after winning the 100-meter race a few days earlier, and having won these same two events in 2008:
- CELEBRATION GIF OF THE DAY
- BONUS: TODAY IN WTFIn synchronized swimming, this happens:
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.