End prison rape, start Twitter controversy
We know America's become pretty polarized over politics lately, but seriously, people: you can dislike President Obama AND dislike prison rape, too.
- Right-wing columnist Tammy Bruce might have written something nice about President Obama once, but we were unable to find it. So her take on the new guidelines wasn't surprising:
- Bruce was far from the only one to wax snarkastic about prison soap.
- Bill Turner's Twitter biography says he is "National Director: United States of America Defence League. Fighting Sharia Law & Islam, In America." He doesn't approve of fighting prison rape, though.
- We're not sure if this next tweet comes from someone who supports or opposes gay rights, though a perusal of his other Tweets suggests he believes Obama was born in Kenya.
- That said, not all criticism of the Justice Department guidelines was motivated by anti-Obama sentiment. Many critics felt the guidelines didn't go far enough, especially for inmates suspected of immigration violations.
- There were also heartening levels of disdain shown toward those who chose to view prison rape as a partisan issue.
- Of course, not everyone who joked about the new guidelines was motivated by dislike of Obama or disdain toward prisoners. There were the usual generic (in the sense of non-partisan) joking as well.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.