The Kylie Chronicles: Anonymous vs. suicide trolls
A suicidal 15-year-old girl, a pair of trolls, Anti-Bullying Day, and Anonymous: They all came together overnight in a perfect storm of swift, social media justice. Curated by Lorraine Murphy (@raincoaster) for @dailydot
- Kylie Kylem is a 15-year-old high-school student and Twitter user, and she's in pain. For some "friends," that was enough reason to spend a few hours on social media trying to encourage her to commit suicide. That's when Anonymous stepped in and the trolls quickly learned what it meant to anger the Internet.
- And that is when they struck. The account was @Haylie_Foster17, although at the time of the attack it was called KillYourselfKylie.
- And with that, she went dark. The names listed above are her real-life schoolmates, who have been allegedly bullying her in real life.
- Another troll entered the fray, retweeting and goading the original.
- That's when Web vigilantes stepped in.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 12 already did!
- Elyse NoelleSome people aren't so lucky. I saw this girl's parents speak at AFSP's walk several years in a row and I encourage anyone moved by Kylie's story to click on...Some people aren't so lucky. I saw this girl's parents speak at AFSP's walk several years in a row and I encourage anyone moved by Kylie's story to click on "Get involved" on this page to help stop people from encouraging suicide via the internet. http://suzyslaw.com/about-suzy/suzanne-gonzales/more2012-12-10T20:29:27.404Z