How to brand yourself as a dickhead in 6 tweets
This all began here - "Coca Cola drinks the social media kool-aid http://adland.tv/adnews/coca-cola-drinks-social-media-kool-aid" - screendump provided as offending comment was deleted by @smithandteam.
- Andra Precupanu (and a few other people like Murtaza Marvi ) began sharing their pov & ideas on what social media means for a brands bottom line. It spun off into a few interesting threads, and started at this gem:
- And that's when this side-conversation happened. I screendumped it because I found it abrasive and quite sudden. I use conversations like these as examples when teaching social media seminars on how to and how not to engage.
- Wait, he's selling his services? Cocky. I'll give him that.
- For you young'uns, this is a reference to the film The Hucksters and Beautee's boorish head man Evans played by Sydney Greenstreet.
- I honestly had a hard time parsing that. Isn't validation something correctly coded web pages and people who validate your parking do? ;) I keed.
- I saw this float by in my stream and figured I'd be helpful to the digital guru in pointing him to the spelling error, that makes sure @kidsleepys doesn't see his reply.
- But I seriously doubt that @smithandteam read it or got that it was a reference to that. Either way, he now decided to make a comment, and he's an effective man as he also used this as a blog post on his site. For the record, I did not call him a dickhead for soliciting comments via twitter.
- The comment thread on adland also got a visit from adhacker / @smithandteam. Mission accomplished.
I created this storify as a record of what was said, seeking to find the "combative tweets" adhacker / smithandteam feels he has been subjected to (as he declares them to be in the comments on adland). I still don't know why asking for a comment at the article was such as sin in his eyes, and deserving of calling me names for daring to suggest it.
Epilogue: Monday March 25 the twitter account @smithandteam was reset to 0 following & 0 followers, and went back to the default easter egg image. This doesn't delete the tweets already collected in this storify. The Samuel Smith who tweeted us has changed his twitter handle to @SmithSamuelJ abandoning his previous twitter name.
There have been no further updates to the ad agency / Consultancy / isamuel.com since the adland comment was posted as a post there http://www.isamuel.com/2013/03/adland-tv-claims-social-media-is-waste-of-money/ …
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 2 already did!
- Åsk DabitchI'm not mean, I just dislike being called a dickhead for no reason. I'm not the self-professed snark commenter, once again you've confused me with another...I'm not mean, I just dislike being called a dickhead for no reason. I'm not the self-professed snark commenter, once again you've confused me with another writer. The story includes your tweets as well as mine which means it shows both sides. Stop digging. You'll make it to China if you keep going.more2013-03-27T15:13:00.648Z
- Samuel SmithA wholly one-sided story (aren't they all?) which still proves my point: is calling a self-professed snark commenter a "dickhead" once in a Tweet worse than the...A wholly one-sided story (aren't they all?) which still proves my point: is calling a self-professed snark commenter a "dickhead" once in a Tweet worse than the ongoing harassment I'm receiving from you to this day? You're a mean one, Ms. Dabitch. And once I said my piece on Twitter, I was done. Now I've said it here, and I'm done.more2013-03-27T14:55:09.076Z