Marijuana legalization: Worth pursuing?
Here's a look at what readers are saying about efforts to legalize marijuana in the United States. A large proportion of them have said they are in favor of legalization, but they didn't all agree on such measures. They also talked about how such rules would be implemented.
- The historic victories in Colorado and Washington to legalize marijuana and regulate it like alcohol will be remembered as the beginning of the end of America's marijuana prohibition. For those unfamiliar, this is exactly the path taken to lift federal prohibition of alcohol in the early 20th century. It's wonderful that America is finally acknowledging the facts about marijuana, rather than embracing the hysteria which has no basis in fact. Good on you, Colorado and Washington! Now, President (again) Obama needs to support the will of the People and stop his useless raids...
- I voted against it here in Oregon, in part because the way it was written, large companies would be the growers and sellers to the public. In part I feel thats a infringement on my rights to purchase and use. If Cosco wants to sell legalized pot by the truckload, fine by me, I wont be buying it. But if my friend has a small growing operation and has some for sale.. Ill gladly buy their product over the Cosco brand.
- Well now that its legal here in Washington they can actually hold studies to determine what level in you blood corresponds to how long ago you smoked and how messed up you are. Right now that is the big question but hopefully it will be handled wisely with a realistic limit in your blood. If people start getting dui's from having smoked yesterday then that will just start a whole new round of activism directed at personal liberty to change the way testing occurs. The whole point of legalization is to get the government to stop wasting precious resources like money and people, and focus on more serious problems.
- If the GOP wants power. I mean really wants power they should work to make marijuana legal in every state. I wont be smoking but I dont care if someone else does. As long as they are not operating heavy machinery or driving big whoop. Tax it make it like cigarettes. The people you have not been reaching will vote for you. You will expand your base.
- People, you do realize that marijuana just like any other drug has negative long term effects. Now before you start saying that tobacco and alcohol are worse and yet we allow them. You have to remember that both of those were legalized before we knew how bad they were for you. We know now how bad marijuana can be so why should be legalize something we know is bad. We tried to get rid of alcohol it didn't work. The gov't realized you can't get rid of something that is already so rooted into our society. Marijuana has negative effects. If you go on pubmed and search for it, you will find it. And despite what everyone says, I have personally seen marijuana induced accidents, seizures, etc. It can be just as bad as alcohol or tobacco, the full effects just aren't fully studied yet.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!