1. Authorities were called around 8:20 a.m. local time to a report of a fire at the station.

    "We believe the fire was caused by the detonation of an improvised device," London’s Metropolitan Police Service said in a statement.

    Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for counter-terrorism policing, declared the blast a terrorist incident.

    Officials said 19 people were taken to hospitals by ambulance, and at least three others presented themselves at hospitals, according to the London Ambulance Service and The Associated Press.

    In response to the attack, British officials have raised the country's terrorism threat level to "critical' Friday evening.

    Prime Minister Theresa May acted on the recommendation of the Joint Terrorism Analysis Center after the subway train bombing attack Friday at the Parsons Green station in southwest London. The analysis includes security services, police and government agencies.

    The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was carried out by an affiliated unit.

    A majority of those injured appeared to have suffered burns, police said. None of the injuries were considered life-threatening.
  2. Natasha Wills, the ambulance service's assistant director of operations, said in a statement that most people treated by first responders had minor injuries.

    "We arrived on scene in five minutes of the first (emergency) call and worked closely with our colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and London Fire Brigade making sure patients received the medical help they needed as quickly as possible," Will said.
  3. Authorities evacuated an area surrounding the Parsons Green underground station amid a manhunt for the person responsible for the attack.
  4. An unverified photo circulating on social media showed a white bucket with a supermarket freezer bag on the floor of one train carriage, Reuters reported. The bucket was in flames and there appeared to be wires coming out of the top.

    A witness told Reuters that there were six ambulances, fire engines and a helicopter at the Parsons Green station. The Metro newspaper reported that passengers had suffered facial burns from a blast and others had been hurt in a subsequent stampede.

    “I was on (the) second carriage from the back. I just heard a kind of whoosh. I looked up and saw the whole carriage engulfed in flames making its way towards me,” Ola Fayankinnu, who was on the train, told Reuters. “A lot of people were trampled on. There were phones, hats, bags all over the place and when I looked back I saw a bag with flames. People were crying, shocked, a few people had been injured, some people had been trampled.”

    Outside the station, a woman was sitting on a pavement with a bandage around her leg while armed police patrolled, Reuters reported. A witness saw a woman being carried off on a stretcher with her legs covered in a foil blanket, according to the news wire service.

    President Donald Trump denounced the attack on Twitter, calling it the work of “sick and demented people.” He added that the terrorists “were in the sights of Scotland Yard,” adding that “loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.”
  5. In response to Trump's comments, British Prime Minister Theresa May said that such comments were unproductive.

    "I never think it's helpful for anybody to speculate on what is an ongoing investigation," she said, according to BBC News.

    Trump later called May to offer his condolences.
  6. The Associated Press contributed to this report
Read next page