Valentine's Day visit to Liverpool for The Duchess of Cambridge
The Duchess of Cambridge carried out her first regional day of engagements on her own in the City of Liverpool today. We went with Her Royal Highness and saw the warm welcome she received first-hand.
- The Duchess of Cambridge carried out her first solo royal awayday today with a visit to Liverpool on St. Valentine's Day. She was keen to see first-hand the work of one of her charities, Action on Addiction, and to visit the children's hospital Alder Hey.
- There was a great deal of excitement in Liverpool ahead of The Duchess's visit and the atmosphere on the day was fantastic as everyone looked forward to welcoming Her Royal Highness to the North West.
- The first stop was The Brink, Liverpool's alcohol-free bar run by Action on Addiction. It provides a sociable atmosphere for people recovering from drink and drug addiction, and today The Duchess met many of those who have benefitted from coming here.
- Her Royal Highness even had her very own smoothie named in her honour - a mixture of milk, honey, bananas, cream and almonds - called "The Duchess".
- Later in the day Her Royal Highness visited the Alder Hey hospital, where she toured the Burns and Oncology units, met patients there and saw the MRI facilities which were opened by her husband The Duke of Cambridge during a visit in 2010.
- And of course it wouldn't be a Valentine's Day visit without a heart cupcake like this one given to The Duchess by eight-year-old Jaqson...
- We've added a selection of our photos from the day, were you among the crowds in Liverpool today?
- You can find out more about The Duchess's charities on the website below:
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.