Anthony Shadid Dies In Syria
The New York Times reported on Thursday night that its foreign correspondent Anthony Shadid, 43, had died at work in Syria. The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist had covered conflict in the Middle East for nearly two decades for the Times and Washington Post.
- Here is how the New York Times and some of its journalists shared the news on Twitter.
- — The New York Times (@nytimes)Thu, Feb 16 2012 18:31:22The Times is deeply saddened to report the death of Anthony Shadid, foreign correspondent, in Syria: http://nyti.ms/xiiXV1 1
- — Ian Adelman (@ianadelman)Thu, Feb 16 2012 18:37:14
- — Jennifer Preston (@NYT_JenPreston)Thu, Feb 16 2012 19:25:29
- Reactions quickly followed from other journalists.
- — Andrew Phelps (@andrewphelps)Thu, Feb 16 2012 18:46:29Anthony Shadid was shot, kidnapped, beaten, and harassed, but the guy never quit. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html …om/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html
- — Peter S. Goodman (@petersgoodman)Thu, Feb 16 2012 18:50:03Rarely does a journalist die and the world is different, but without shadid we will know less, and settle for less nuanced, less human truth
- — Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz)Thu, Feb 16 2012 18:41:32I am absolutely crushed by this news. I worked side by side with Anthony Shadid at the UW's Daily Cardinal in 1987-89: http://nyti.ms/xnB4Ms s
- — Mark Bennett (@md_bennett)Thu, Feb 16 2012 18:50:36
- — Anderson Cooper (@andersoncooper)Thu, Feb 16 2012 19:17:09Nytimes reporter anthony shadid has died. Such a brave and smart reporter. A terrible loss. My thoughts are with his family and friends
- — Arianna Huffington (@ariannahuff)Thu, Feb 16 2012 19:20:50Awful news. Condolences to Anthony Shadid's family, friends and co-workers. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html?_r=2&src=tp …om/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html?_r=2&src=tp
- — Andrea Mitchell (@mitchellreports)Thu, Feb 16 2012 19:40:13Tragic loss Anthony Shadid of apparant asthma attack in Syria one of greatest journalists of the era condolences to family and nyt
- — carlo dellaverson (@cdellaverson)Thu, Feb 16 2012 19:01:06RIP Anthony Shadid. What a huge loss for print journalism. The definition of a brilliant, badass war reporter. Such a tragedy for the NYT.
- — jeremy scahill (@jeremyscahill)Wed, Feb 15 2012 11:13:38For generations to come, young journalists will study Anthony Shadid & say, "I want to do what he did w the time he had"
- Many reactions also came from outside the journalism world, vaulting Shadid's name to a worldwide Twitter trending topic.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.