Death at Occupy Vancouver
Ashlie Gough, 23, was found dead in a tent at the Occupy Vancouver encampment on the lawn of the city's art gallery on Saturday. As the news of Gough's death quickly spread on twitter, many offered their condolences and weighed in on what it meant for the future of the protest.
- — Vanessa (@Vevamberly)Sat, Nov 05 2011 22:17:39Incredibly saddened over the death of "Ashley" down at Occupy Vancouver today. Wish I had been down there to support all her other friends
- — Occupy Vancouver (@OccupyVancouver)Sat, Nov 05 2011 19:04:29#OccupyVancouver has lost a soul tonight. Please come & bring candles. Our thoughts are with Ashley as she goes to occupy somewhere else
- — Vivien Ip (@vivien_ip)Sat, Nov 05 2011 22:11:28Read news about death @ Occupy Vancouver. Sad to think maybe this is the event that will get people to start talking more about the issue.
- Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson said immediately after Gough's death that it was time to put an end to the encampment, and some social media users agreed.
- — Clifton Parker (@cliffparker04)Sun, Nov 06 2011 02:45:23The occupy folks are nuts! Clearly trying to start "communes"- live in tent cities forever? See- Tragic death rocks Occupy Vancouver
- — Clay St. Thomas (@ClayStThomas)Sat, Nov 05 2011 19:39:39#OccupyVancouver: those who agreed w/ part of your protest got the message the 1st day. Since, you've alienated & antagonized. Pack it up.
- But supporters of the protest took to social media, saying the woman's death had nothing to do with the protest movement.
- — angela elizabeth (@moodyangela)Sun, Nov 06 2011 16:20:34Blaming Occupy Vancouver for an overdose? As if the person wouldn't have done it anyway? Will they blame the shooting death on protesters?
- — Philip Classen (@paclassen)Sun, Nov 06 2011 15:51:02Disgusted that mayor of Vancouver is using a tragic accidental death as excuse to undermine the vital peaceful protest of "Occupy Vancouver"
- — Ron Gillmore (@rongillmore)Sun, Nov 06 2011 11:37:12Mayor Gregor Robertson, extreme hypocrite and elitist, uses a "drugs death" to dismantle the Occupy Vancouver tent city. #cdnpoli
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.