B.C. earthquake, tsunami advisory
A 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Haida Gwaii, sparking tsunami warnings and advisories from California up the coast of B.C. to Alaska.
- The news immediately started spreading via social media.
- — Sean Rankin (@HappyVikingFPoM)Sun, Oct 28 2012 00:38:56There was a 7.7 earthquake off the coast of Northern BC four hours ago. There's a tsunami warning in effect up there. Feeling a bit nervous.
- — TJ Alfred (@TJAlfred12)Sun, Oct 28 2012 00:18:42
- People living in the earthquake zone, in B.C. and the U.S., took to social media to share their experiences.
- — Katie Trant (@muffinmyth)Sun, Oct 28 2012 00:27:18
- B.C's tsunami warnings were eventually downgraded to advisories.
- — Tammi Donison (@sweetchicky23)Sat, Oct 27 2012 23:54:45BC is all okay, nothing to worry about. There is no tsunami warning here on Vancouver Island. We r all okay and we on Vancouver island
- As the tsunami threat in B.C. eased, officials in Hawaii warned of a tsunami, advising residents to head to higher ground.
- — Tracy Anderson (@Fishkabob)Sun, Oct 28 2012 00:13:00
- — Cari Kalama (@Cari_Kalama)Sun, Oct 28 2012 00:10:55Feeling helpless as my family in HI evacuates our home bc it's in the tsunami zone! A con to living on the coast...Praying for their safety
- — David Connop Price (@DConnopPrice)Sun, Oct 28 2012 00:08:53
- — Ryan Ver Berkmoes (@ryanvb)Sat, Oct 27 2012 23:58:28My fellow Lonely Planet authors covering Hawaii are all being evacuated right now to higher ground due to upgraded tsunami after BC quake
- As the news spread, many social media users shared their thoughts with those affected.
- — Veronique Paquette (@Veronique_P)Sun, Oct 28 2012 00:32:21I really hope this Tsunami warning for BC and the surrounding areas. And not so surrounding areas is just a warning and doesn't happen.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!
- Desiree Marie Bernertafter being in the Japan quake a couple yrs ago, i thought i wouldnt feel anything when a smaller one did happen, i did feel it the other night around 8;00...after being in the Japan quake a couple yrs ago, i thought i wouldnt feel anything when a smaller one did happen, i did feel it the other night around 8;00 oclock or so, like some one was shaking there legs , ,it felt like a shiver , im all the way in Wa. state on the west side in Port Orchard , & now your getting them again, its a bit scarey, i pray we dont have any more, a 9.0 is horrible, an feirce!! God Bless us all if this wasnt the big one there all talking about, more2012-10-30T09:12:55.997Z