Is Technology Making Our Lives Richer or Poorer?
- http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_IAP11853 …
A conversation between Nicholas Thompson, a senior editor covering technology for the New Yorker, and computing pioneer Jaron Lanier. They'll discuss the virtues of technology, but also the ways it has made us less imaginative, more distracted, and less connected to other people. Lanier is one of the founders of "virtual reality," but he has since become the most prominent critic of what technology has wrought. Last year, he published “You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto,” a provocative critique of digital technologies, including Wikipedia (which he called a triumph of “intellectual mob rule”) and social-networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, which Lanier has described as dehumanizing and designed to encourage shallow interactions.It's hard NOT to use FB. Uses example of his own love for strange instruments, and getting to know other fans..You can always reconceive a digital function...
- Digital stuff is getting really good. Self-driving cars are good, 'cause people are terrible drivers.Ppl lose jobs because of this (truckdrivers, cabs, etc.)3D-printers making ppl lose their manufacturing jobs
If we treat the ppl as real, and machines as NOT real, we can create deeper meaning.
- Aristoteles recognized the potential of technology, was very prescient. Said it could free slaves, and more...
- Over WalMart:
- Let's go to 1960 - digital networked media was first proposed - Ted Nelson, still alive, lives in Sausalito.Original digital networking vision provided an alternative to Marxism. Nelson made Aristotle-vision come to life.
- Everytime someone makes money from information, they have to use this principle."The internet today is a huge carbon spewing nightmare!"
1st dumb thing: Sponsor of this lab was Xerox.
- Interessante gedachte om eens op door te gaan:
- Industrywide cooperative sharing is necessary. Netflix XBOX Amazon should be interoperable.
- Over de dualiteit in het post-digitale tijdperk:
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.