Calgary Public Library's Volunteer Recognition Event
On Friday, May 11th, we celebrated our over 1,900 volunteers at our annual Volunteer Recognition Event. It was a great evening filled with music, fun, food and heart-felt stories from our volunteers and those that they have helped. Here are some highlights from the evening.
- Lovely music from Bell'arte Strings greeted guests as they made their way to their seats in the John Dutton Theatre.
- Between our event and the Calgary 2012 party, it was a busy night for some of our guests:
- Mayor Nenshi greeted the packed theatre with his characteristic humour and appreciation for libraries.
- Board Member Sue Ditchburn took the stage to thank the volunteers:
- Library CEO, Gerry Meek acted as Master of Ceremonies for the evening.
- Youth Volunteer Ali Poonja displayed his award-winning public speaking skills in a speech on the value of volunteering:
- Two of our volunteers this year have been with us for 25 years!
- Global Calgary's Tony Tighe was awarded our John Dutton Volunteer of the Year award for his work with the Read With Me program -- a definite highlight of the evening.
- Once the awards wrapped up it was time for the party. The Crave cupcakes were a hit!
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.