Shock, Sorrow After Santa Monica Shooting Spree
WARNING: Graphic content below. At least four people were killed and more were injured when a man armed with an assault rifle went on a rampage on Santa Monica city streets before police killed him on the Santa Monica College campus.
- The rampage began when gunfire erupted in a Santa Monica neighborhood and a house went up in flames.
- Multiple rounds struck a vehicle and possibly its driver. The gunman carjacked another vehicle and forced the driver to take him to Santa Monica College.
- Daniel J. Berumen (@DJBerumen), whose Twitter profile says he is a research analyst for Santa Monica College, began tweeting almost as soon as the first shots rang out on campus.
- Students, staff and others on campus hid for hours, waiting for word that the campus was clear and it was safe to come outside. These photos came from a Santa Monica College student, Abdulaziz F Alsaeed.
- Officers geared for combat cleared campus buildings.
- News host Steve Chiotakis and Daniel Kraft, MD, were among those evacuated from KCRW, a public radio station with studios on the Santa Monica College campus. SWAT officers accompanied them off campus. On the way, they passed the body of the shooting suspect.
- After the campus was mostly secured, @DJBerumen noted a bit of irony about the incident.
- Santa Monica College canceled activities at its main campus through the end of the week.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.