Bus Monitor Karen Klein's $700,000 Internet Army
A shocking video of middle schoolers verbally abusing a poorly-paid, hearing-impaired grandmother of eight hired to keep them safe on the school bus went viral on June 20th, 2012. Over 32,000 online strangers rallied to Karen's side, donating $700,000, enough for her to retire for good.
- Karen has announced that she is forming the Karen Klein Anti-Bullying Foundation. The foundation has a straightforward goal: "to help teach kids and teens about being kind, friendly, and playing nice with others."
- On June 19th, YouTube user capitaltrigga uploaded three videos of middle school students on Bus 784 in Greece, NY mercilessly harassing their bus monitor, mocking her for her weight, her low income, calling her a child rapist, and threatening to hurt her.
- ***Warning: Explicit and heartbreaking language***
DONATIONS UPDATE: $700,000 raised as of 7:00pm Monday, July 23rd.
- More than 32,000 donors from across the country have donated over $700,000, enough for Karen to retire from her job as a bus monitor. People have given as little as $1 and as much as $3,000.
- Karen, who has worked for the Greece, NY school system for 23 years, has also received flowers, letters, and messages from around the world.
Karen on TV
- Karen on AC360 with Anderson Cooper:
- Karen on ABC World News:
- Karen on Today:
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 68 already did!
- Annie HughesThe best and worst of Humanity displayed over a few days.2012-06-22T19:37:29.817Z
- john smithTake a nice LOOOOOONG vacation Karen, relax, have some drinks, go abroad, go to a country where children taught to respect their elders and where something...Take a nice LOOOOOONG vacation Karen, relax, have some drinks, go abroad, go to a country where children taught to respect their elders and where something like this would be unthinkable. Visit: India, China, Russia, Mexico or Romania. Go to a country like Italy where children live with, and take care of their parents, and the parents take care of them. # generation under one roof, and everyone loves it. Go somewhere where you are respected.more2012-06-22T17:42:38.750Z
- Coby SmithHeres the new video frm the Marines who have Karen's back! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pfoi-ENDu8&list=UUXfyS4G5sxXLNl3ZCh4SjHw&index=1&feature=plcp2012-06-22T13:05:14.456Z
- Gregory Fisher Here's the deal: We got a viral video on Facebook demonstrating the complete and utter lack of anything resembling humanity by some fine students from the...Here's the deal: We got a viral video on Facebook demonstrating the complete and utter lack of anything resembling humanity by some fine students from the community of Greece. We got a few mumbled remarks from the police about an investigation. We got an outpouring of concern by people from all over the world. AND NOW, a few mumbled apologies of questionable sincerity. What we don't have: Any hint of leadership by the School Superintendent and School Administration. A genuine LEADER--in the position of School Superintendent--would have made an immediate and public response to this mess ... not a vague pr piece couched in educational jargon. A LEADER would have issued an immediate, public, and genuine apology to the employee. A LEADER would have taken responsibility for this sad state of affairs and LEAD--in a very public way--the demand for changes in the corporate culture of a School District that could allow this to happen. A LEADER makes things happen by doing the right things. What we got here is a professional educational wonk concerned with covering her own behind and staying out of the line of fire.more2012-06-22T12:54:16.168Z
- Christine HegiI wonder if these cowardly, immature brats were brave enough to show their own grandmothers this video?2012-06-22T03:03:58.889Z
- Heather Marchthose children should be expelled and their parents held accountable for their threats 2012-06-22T02:23:56.719Z
- Susan RocheleauIt's sickening to see the youth of today ! NO respect , no remorse . And I.m sure 9 times out of 10 , these little angels have learned this behavior @ home...It's sickening to see the youth of today ! NO respect , no remorse . And I.m sure 9 times out of 10 , these little angels have learned this behavior @ home. Some parents will not take responsibility for things their kids say or do. Their little angels would never do anything like that ! They need their mouths slapped than washed out with soap !!!more2012-06-22T02:01:02.017Z
- Andy SternbergYou've probably heard about the bullying of school bus monitor Karen Huff Klein by now. But the outpouring of support and $300,000+ in 24 hours is truly amazing2012-06-21T22:45:00.764Z
- Brooke RemmertI am sending that lady a lot of hugs and light, right now.2012-06-21T22:07:38.152Z