Guinea-Bissau: 2012 military coup a fortnight before election runoff
Less than a month after the coup in Mali, and a month after elections held following the death of president Sanhá, the 3rd military coup in 3 years is ongoing in Guinea-Bissau
- — Alex Thurston (@sahelblog)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:53:49Different countries have different internal dynamics, two coups does not make a trend but neither are coups unheard of, etc etc...I give up.
- — David Lewis (@DG_Lewis)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:48:35More detail from #Bissau. Violence comes as #Angola confirms end of security mission that had brought some stability. http://af.reuters.com/article/guineaBissauNews/idAFL6E8FC7H320120412 …m/article/guineaBissauNews/idAFL6E8FC7H320120412
- — Kimberly J. Curtis (@curtiskj)Thu, Apr 12 2012 15:05:41
- — Jay Ulfelder (@jay_ulfelder)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:49:53Coup in Guinea-Bissau? http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/diplomat-military-has-taken-over-guinea-bissaus-capital-leaders-whereabouts-unknown/2012/04/12/gIQAwjbQDT_story.html …npost.com/world/africa/diplomat-military-has-taken-over-guinea-bissaus-cap http://dartthrowingchimp.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/assessing-coup-risk-in-2012/ …outs-unknown/2012/04/12/gIQAwjbQDT_story.html. Easier call than Mali, but still reassuring that forecast was reliable: http://dartthrowingchimp.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/assessing-coup-risk-in-2012/
- — Vote4Africa (@vote4africa)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:25:57#GuineaBissau's 2nd round presidential election campaign was to start Friday. Today's unrest changes the game: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/guineabissau-hit-by-military-coup-16144219.html …leAfricaco.uk/news/world-news/guineabissau-hit-by-military-coup-16144219.html #Africa
- — John Yearwood (@john_yearwood)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:51:14
- — Breaking News (@BreakingNews)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:32:12
- — VincentDuhem (@vincentduhem)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:22:55
- — Asteris Masouras (@asteris)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:18:19"No president in the history of indep #GuineaBissau has completed his term: 3 have been ousted, 1 assassinated, 1 died in office" -WP
- — Asteris Masouras (@asteris)Thu, Apr 12 2012 14:17:36#GuineaBissau election runoff was scheduled for April 29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea-Bissau_presidential_election,_2012 …org/wiki/Guinea-Bissau_presidential_election,_2012 Mali-like?
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.