Twitter's Block Changes
A selection of reactions to Twitter changing their behavior to enable "what was already possible".
- — Tentacle Sixteen (@latentexistence)Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:40:44"blocking a user does not prevent that user from following you, interacting with your Tweets, or receiving your updates in their timeline."
- — Maddy Myers (@samusclone)Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:43:49guess I may as well go ahead and block all the people who I felt kind of guilty about blocking since they'll never know the difference now
- — Tentacle Sixteen (@latentexistence)Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:44:08The changes to blocking are on Twitter's help page. This is deliberate. https://support.twitter.com/articles/117063-blocking-users-on-twitter …
- — Maddy Myers (@samusclone)Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:56:54dudes pls stop explaining to me that blockees could look at my timeline before and therefore I shouldn't care about this. YOU HAVE NO IDEA
- — Maddy Myers (@samusclone)Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:58:28Not every blockee cares enough to log out or create a dummy account just to keep tabs on you. NOW? they don't even HAVE TO. That's bullshit.
- — q0rtbot stanton (@q0rt)Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:58:29A toxic jagweed finds my feed, is a shit, I block them, they RT me so all their jagweed friends are shits, I block them, they RT me so all t
- — Maddy Myers (@samusclone)Thu, Dec 12 2013 13:59:43Pointing out the old block system couldn't stop the most extreme levels of harassment isn't a reason to not care about blocks sucking MORE
- — David Ass Gallant (@davidsgallant)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:02:11@samusclone "They took the locks off the door!" Well, a determined thief could have picked that lock anyways."
- — brook shelley (@brookshelley)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:02:39Hi @twitter - not everyone using your product is safe from harassment, hate, or threats. Bullying the victim with silence is unacceptable
- — eleanor robertson (@marrowing)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:06:14apparently if you report someone for spam, twitter still stops them from following you. hope they enjoy the avalanche of spam reports.
- — q0rtbot stanton (@q0rt)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:09:23Also now I guess I'm supposed to guess if an RT is a signal-boost or someone slapping a target on my back bc I don't wanna talk to them.
- — Maddy Myers (@samusclone)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:28:42I've tweeted before about how I knew some ppl who identify as "trolls". They're older, but not too different mindset from teen in that story
- — Brian Stuart (@red3blog)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:41:22Look, no one thought Block as it was provided comprehensive protection. What it DID do was complicate casual abuse. Now it facilitates it.
- — l b (@lil_mermaid)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:42:57a friendly request to everyone that i've blocked that you respect my decision to block you and leave me the fuck alone forever. thanks
- — l b (@lil_mermaid)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:44:30all the dudes on my timeline are like "HAHA I CAN FOLLOW A FAMOUS PERSON AGAIN LOL" and all the girls are like "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck"
- — Maddy Myers (@samusclone)Thu, Dec 12 2013 14:46:19"Finally I can refollow a noted lady games journalist who blocked me for ~no reason~ seriously I wasn't even doing ~ANYTHING~"
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!
- James ShadeI find this all highly disconcerting. It becomes clear at this point that Twitter is dedicated to long-form hari-kari a la YouTube and Facebook.2013-12-13T02:36:31.654Z