Why the Storify ability to publish "private" Facebook posts matters
Lani Rosales of AGBeat, armed with information from Julie Pippert, wrote a story the other day about how users with the Chrome Storify bookmarklet/plugin could bypass Facebook privacy settings and directly share content that doesn't even show up in Facebook search.
- The article didn't blame Storify, but rather exposed a hole in online privacy. It pointed out that the user needs to be aware of privacy settings as well, and that you shouldn't assume that anything online is ever truly private.
- — SiteGoals Web Design (@SiteGoals)Thu, Jan 17 2013 22:11:52
- — Sweet John (@SweetJohn)Thu, Jan 17 2013 22:28:19
- — Eugenie Sills (@esills)Fri, Jan 18 2013 06:09:44
- — jenniferwindrum (@jenniferwindrum)Fri, Jan 18 2013 06:43:28
- — Eric Henao (@erichenao)Fri, Jan 18 2013 06:48:07WARNING! - If you use Storify, it shows private Facebook posts! - http://agbeat.com/social-media/private-facebook-status-updates-made-visible-by-storify/ …cial-media/private-facebook-status-updates-made-visible-by-storify/
- — Lauren (@LaurnSmith)Fri, Jan 18 2013 06:52:18
- — Real Pro Systems (@realprosystems)Fri, Jan 18 2013 07:01:06Are you a Storify User? You might want to take a quick read of this. You'll be glad you did. Thank you AGBeat http://fb.me/1vYQOssgQ gQ
- — Jill Salzman (@foundingmom)Fri, Jan 18 2013 07:10:30Private status updates on Facebook by private users and in secret or private groups are never private: http://ow.ly/gVxTr ia...
- — Allison Esposito (@allisonveronica)Fri, Jan 18 2013 07:35:02
- — Roeland Roovers (@r0eland)Fri, Jan 18 2013 07:45:21Bericht geheime FB-groep niet besloten bij Storify, kan openbaar worden gemaakt, bewust of onbewust http://agbeat.com/social-media/private-facebook-status-updates-made-visible-by-storify/ …cialTheMatthewKeys-facebook-status-updates-made-visible-by-storify/ v/@TheMatthewKeys
- Some folks wisely pointed out what I always do: Online isn't really private.
- — Pete Watters (@pweet)Fri, Jan 18 2013 07:45:24About Storify and the oxymoron "Facebook privacy." http://agbeat.com/social-media/private-facebook-status-updates-made-visible-by-storify/ …cial-media/private-facebook-status-updates-made-visible-by-storify/
- — Raymond Joseph (@rayjoe)Fri, Jan 18 2013 07:56:18
- — Catalina Juarez (@CatalinaInLA)Fri, Jan 18 2013 08:12:34I haven't used Storify since early last year. This tool is wonderful but not if it curates from private groups.... http://fb.me/1sOwLioUv Uv
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 6 already did!