Reaction: @FruitvaleMovie opens in Bay Area, L.A., NYC
Social media posts from this weekend's national opening of director Ryan Coogler's film depicting the Jan. 1, 2009, fatal shooting of Oscar Grant at Oakland's Fruitvale BART station
- Last month, the movie made an appearance at Oakland's Grand Lake Theater:
- This week, reactions came from institutions, reviewers and celebrities:
- — bevysmith (@bevysmith)Wed, Jul 10 2013 17:36:59Lawd @fruitvalemovie is a must see film for any & everyone no matter what color, socioeconomic status, it's a human story!
- — Ava DuVernay (@AVAETC)Wed, Jul 10 2013 22:25:02FRUITVALE STATION on July 12. BIG WORDS on July 19. Two films exploring black masculinity made by black men. Worth noting. Worth seeing. xo
- — Wendell Pierce (@WendellPierce)Thu, Jul 11 2013 10:28:14@fruitvalemovie See the first Oscar nominated film of the year FRUITVALE STATION. It will be the dominant independent this award season.
- — Rotten Tomatoes (@RottenTomatoes)Thu, Jul 11 2013 14:13:55
- — John Legend (@johnlegend)Thu, Jul 11 2013 17:20:03Just watched "Fruitvale Station" (@fruitvalemovie). So powerful and heartbreaking. So good. Go see this. Opens tomorrow.
- — Leonard Maltin (@leonardmaltin)Thu, Jul 11 2013 21:40:04
- — Shirley Everett (@BBQsister)Thu, Jul 11 2013 23:08:12Tomorrow Ryan Coogler's "Fruitvale Station" hits US theaters, winner Sundance's Dramatic Grand Jury Prize https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=483902688365696&set=a.385769861512313.91536.382882048467761&type=1&relevant_count=1 …fbid…
- Here's how Bay Area folks saw it:
- — Martha Smith (@mostlymartha)Sun, Jul 14 2013 02:37:32The shellshocked people lined up outside the Grand Lake Theater for the Fruitvale Station screening was truer to Oakland than broken windows
- — Bonta Hill (@BontaHill)Sun, Jul 14 2013 02:13:49@evan_b been thinking about it all night. The verdict, watching Fruitvale, and the sight of my girl and her sister crying in the theatre.
- — mariaguzman (@MariaJosephinx)Sun, Jul 14 2013 01:40:15Watched #Fruitvale last night and felt a lot of compassion in a group. Tonight, I sat in Awaken Cafe and a kid smashed a window as we sat
- — ˙ʇɹǝqoɹ (@multifoiled)Sun, Jul 14 2013 01:29:53Fruitvale Station tonight. Floored & immeasurably sad. Then found out about the verdict and met with protest in front of theater. Too much.
- — AnnaRae (@strategyleap)Sun, Jul 14 2013 00:43:58Saw 10:30 show in Oakland after the devastating Trayvon verdict. It was painful & healing. Fruitvale is my hood. Thanks. @fruitvalemovie
- — Joshua Daniels (@HarryElephante)Sat, Jul 13 2013 23:55:06
- — Jesse Budlong (@JesseBudlong)Sat, Jul 13 2013 23:22:10
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.