Reaction: @106KMEL fires @ChuyGomez
Longtime listeners and local observers weigh in after Northern California R&B and hip-hop radio station's programming changes leave a 20-year veteran on the outs
- "106 KMEL is a legend in radio – The West Coast’s first station to play Hip Hop and R&B in the 1980′s and continues to dominate what has become one of the most mass-appeal formats in music with core artists such as Kanye West, Jay Z, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Ne-Yo, Jamie Foxx, Diddy and more. KMEL maintains an extremely broad audience base of active, lifestyle listeners who remain at the forefront of every trend. Personalities like morning host Chuy Gomez, afternoon host Sana G. and evening host Big Von connect with their listeners in a very personal way because the live the lifestyle and love the music."
- [...] “He was born and raised here, has a good personality and brings that all onto the radio,” said Sana G, KMEL afternoon jock. “He’s an inspiration for everyone.” [...]
- [...] In 2002, Chuy got the chance to move to morning drive. “I basically take the same approach to doing mornings that I’d take to doing any other show. I do my best to keep my listeners happy and hope they enjoy listening to the radio when I’m on,” says Chuy. [...]
- San Francisco Bay Area artists spoke out:
- Listeners were not happy to hear about the station's move:
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.