That one where we all lost our minds about Clint Dempsey
Based on little more than speculative tweets, Sounders fans collectively lost their minds about the prospect of signing Clint Dempsey as vague and interesting tweets slowly pointing in that direction poured in. It was a night of great speculation, but it was fun for all.
- It all started when the Sounders, rather unexpectedly, announced that Shalrie Joseph was no longer a DP after signing a new contract.
- — Jeremiah Oshan (@JeremiahOshan)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:51:22Obviously this has to be seen as a precursor to another signing. Sounders have three open roster spots, and apparently some cap room.
- Then Keith Costigan really set the rumor mill running crazy.
- — Daniel Guerrero (@Sounderinpdx)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:51:23
- — Jeremiah Oshan (@JeremiahOshan)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:51:23I'll always be skeptical that the Sounders can bring in Dempsey given the many obstacles, but I guess it's not craziest idea.
- — Jeremiah Oshan (@JeremiahOshan)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:51:23It should be repeated ad nauseum: Timbers have top allocation spot and until I hear otherwise, that's a seemingly insurmountable obstacle
- Sigi then weighed in on his weekly radio show with Dave "Softy" Mahler.
- — Joshua Mayers (@joshuamayers)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:52:28Schmid told @SportsRadioKJR that the Sounders could be looking to add a midfielder or second forward with the open DP slot.
- — Aaron Campeau (@AaronCampeau)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:51:23
- — Kevin Shockey (@KevinShockey)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:51:23"Nothing there that I can say right now." Sigi on Dempsey when @Softykjr pushed him on it. "nothing that's nailed down or concrete."
- Then we got word that Dempsey was actually coming to the U.S. today.
- Some tried to throw some cold water over the party
- — Taylor Twellman (@TaylorTwellman)Thu, Aug 01 2013 22:51:23
- Jorge Perea, who works with Golazo, set off a fresh round of speculation when he reported seeing Dempsey in San Francisco, heading to Seattle.
- Jorge tries to throw cold water on the party, but others disagree.