Your tributes to Robert Hughes
Influential Australian art critic and writer Robert Hughes has died in New York aged 74. Here is a selection of your tributes.
- — Malcolm Turnbull (@TurnbullMalcolm)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:11:52Robert Hughes, critic, historian, fisherman, has died today in New York City. Farewell my dear old mate. Rest in peace. http://shar.es/vehGH
- — Kevin Rudd (@KRuddMP)Mon, Aug 06 2012 17:05:07Vale Robert Hughes. An Australian who dared defy the mould and be different. Fatal Shore. American Art history. Rome. Goya. Extraordinary.
- — julia baird (@bairdjulia)Mon, Aug 06 2012 17:04:30One gets tired of the role critics are supposed to have in this culture: It's like being the piano player in a whorehouse. Robert Hughes
- — Mr Denmore (@MrDenmore)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:23:06
- — Catherine Deveny (@CatherineDeveny)Mon, Aug 06 2012 16:00:44I feel guilty when I'm not writing, and when I'm writing I feel guilty I'm not writing well enough | Robert Hughes
- — michelle griffin (@michellegriff)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:25:54Robert Hughes, an art critic who knew how to communicate big ideas and delicate technique in muscular, accessible, smart prose.
- — Troy Bramston (@TroyBramston)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:19:57Vale Robert Hughes. The Fatal Shore had a huge impact on me. American Visions was a brilliant book and a captivating TV series. 1/2
- — Troy Bramston (@TroyBramston)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:23:17Robert Hughes' patrician demeanor, unrivaled command of language, awesome intellect made him a sight to behold. Glad to have met him. 2/2
- — SERG DERANG0 (@SERG1O_D)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:34:58Vale Robert Hughes. Thank You for your marvellous documentaries "American Visions" from which I developed my love for American History
- — Bronwyn (@gladysknows)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:36:15RIP Robert Hughes...Thanks for the books .."the fatal Shore" is a great account of the finding of a nation.. and one of my favorites.
- — Paul Daley (@PPDaley)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:37:00Very sad about Robert Hughes' death - a great loss. A literary hero of mine. 'Fatal Shore' was a seminal moment in Oz literary non-fiction.
- — Bryan Appleyard (@BryanAppleyard)Mon, Aug 06 2012 15:47:00RIP Robert Hughes, an often difficult but always a great man. A strange combination of the combative and the sensitive. http://tinyurl.com/clvth9q lvth9q