Your say: LGBTI politician quota
Labor leadership candidate Bill Shorten says he wants to introduce quotas for politicians representing minority groups, including the LGBTI community and Indigenous Australians. What are your thoughts?
- "Personally I don't see any issues for me so long as it is reasonable. That is to say the quotas are representative of the communities they represent within the population as a whole." - pippen123 via comment
- "I think that breaking down barriers and enabling minority group representatives to participate in all sectors of our society is a positive step forward, however, I do not think that quotas are the answer." - tsj via comment
- You obviously have a narrow minded view if you think LGBTI representation just consists of an equal marriage vote and equal rights in a society that inherently isn't equal and treats everyone fairly. Often LGBTI aren't represented properly in parliament and this would be a good step forward to achieving this.
- "Candidates should be elected by the local folk, but rather than quotas it would be better to look carefully at why there is not more diversity in the candidates." - anon e mouse via comment
- "...What kind of a government would be running this country if we had quotas?" - shirl in oz via comment