Your say: Bikie fortresses outlawed
Victoria has introduced new laws to allow police to strip fortifications and security cameras from bikie clubhouses. What do you think of these measures?
- The Victorian Government takes crime seriously. Look at the laws changed to parole that could've saved Jill Meagher. Now this to allow police every opportunity to do their job better. Might seem nanny state, but ultimately it's in the citizens of Victoria's best interest. Well done to Victoria Government!
- "Once a government singles out a particular community group by assuming guilt before innocence, then passing laws to enforce that assumption, it is a short step to a slippery slope to single out other community groups for similar treatment." - nonrev via comment
- People don't get the difference between a bike club and an outlaw motorcycle gang. We hate terrorists but allow bikies to shoot guns at each other and have brawls which endanger innocent bystanders. What about the poor people that had their house shot at because the previous owner/tenant was a bikie. It's about time.
- "It's not illegal to erect fortifications and security cameras. If you erect them to protect illegal activities, police can rip them out. This sounds like the laws are for everyone and they sound reasonable to me.
Organised crime is organised crime. Bikie gangs being singled out garbage. These people criminals who need to be treated like all the others. They've copied an image to feel special and for some reason the media and the politicians selfishly re-enforce it." - magicwords via comment
- "There are two things going on here, which some people are working very hard to confuse. There are legitimate motorcycle groups who are mainstream people who get together for runs and charity events. There are also groups who consider themselves outside of society, fund themselves through a range of legal and illegal activities, and work quite hard to confound the constraints of 'normal society'. They are a symptom of a broader lack of order, but still need to be treated." - apogee via comment
- "Dont care who the bikies are or what they have done. the corporation calling itself the state government have no right to destoy private property and make laws to suit itself without consent of the people. They then use another private company called Victorian police to enforce the corupt laws.Rather than telling these bikies how to live their own lives to suit your ideas try negotiation and mediation. I dont agree with all they do but they do have right under common law." - formston via comment