Research crew stuck in Antarctica
The Russian-built MV Akademik Shokalskiy was retracing Sir Douglas Mawson's Antarctic expedition and doing scientific research when heavy sea ice closed in.
- December 25, Christmas Day:
- The dire situation was not enough to hamper the Christmas spirit onboard.
- December 26:
- — Chris Turney (@ProfChrisTurney)Wed, Dec 25 2013 12:12:54Shokalskiy met heavy ice Xmas Eve. Want to reassure family & friends all well. Chinese ice breaker expt'd 24hrs.
- Another blizzard rolls in.
- — Chris Turney (@ProfChrisTurney)Wed, Dec 25 2013 19:20:31An update from the AAE. We're in a blizzard at the moment but all are well. Blowing through later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwUJvaZDWHA&feature=youtu.be … #spiritofmawson
- December 27:
- The first of three icebreakers, Chinese ship Snow Dragon, is being sent to rescue the ship.
- — Chris Turney (@ProfChrisTurney)Thu, Dec 26 2013 17:36:16Good news. Sounds like the Chinese icebreaker Snow Dragon is just 25 miles away. Hope to see it in a couple of hours! #spiritofmawson
- December 28:
- Unfortunately, the ice was too thick for Snow Dragon.The second icebreaker, a French vessel, isn't expected to make it through the ice either.The crew now await the third icebreaker, Australian ship Aurora Australis.