Lou Reed, Velvet Underground frontman, dies at 71
American rock pioneer Lou Reed, whose band the Velvet Underground became one of the most influential in rock by fusing art and music in 1960s New York, has died aged 71. Here are some of the tributes that have been left on social media.
- — Amanda Palmer (@amandapalmer)Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:29:46i read this on a phone in the back of a cab and just kept hoping it was faked. Lou reed can't die. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-velvet-underground-leader-and-rock-pioneer-dead-at-71-20131027 …
- — David Bowie Official (@DavidBowieReal)Sun, Oct 27 2013 14:50:52R.I.P. LOU REED It is with great sadness that we report the death of Lou Reed who died today aged 71. (March 2,... t.co/VDIkjhjTba
- — peaches (@peachesnisker)Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:05:26LOU REED R.I.P. You were a huge part of my formative years! when I look up at the night sky, I hope i see you in... fb.me/13grmTYXH
- — Salman Rushdie (@SalmanRushdie)Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:53:51My friend Lou Reed came to the end of his song. So very sad.But hey, Lou, you'll always take a walk on the wild side. Always a perfect day.
- — Clare Bowditch (@ClareBowditch)Sun, Oct 27 2013 15:31:39Thank you Lou Reed. Our heart goes out to your Laurie. You saved the world a little bit. Vale. instagram.com/p/f_NjDmTKkw/
- — Nikki Sixx (@NikkiSixx)Sun, Oct 27 2013 11:57:51RIP Lou Reed.Thank you for your beautiful/dark lyrics/music and stance on life.You inspired me from my teenage years right up till today.
- — Irvine Welsh (@WelshIrvine)Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:26:37Sad to hear about Lou Reed passing. Such a star. RIP Lou, and thanks for giving us Perfect Day for Trainspotting. t.co/CX8LRKqr8H