Social media buzz: Pledge of Allegiance
The common grade school ritual was once again brought into question when a teacher was suspended for forcing a student to participate.
Inside USA TODAY
- We asked our Facebook followers this question:
- What do you think of the Florida teacher who was suspended for forcing a student to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance? A – This is way too harsh of a punishment. B – Good; she never should have forced the child to participate. C – I don’t think she did anything wrong; she was just doing her job. D – The Pledge of Allegiance is a tradition and the student should never have refused to participate.
- Many commenters were surprised by the notion that a child shouldn't be forced to pledge their allegiance to a free country. Others thought that sounded like a contradiction
- A and D.If the phrase, "... under GOD," is offensive to any student, they may, IMHO, omit those two words with impunity. Please feel free to replace that phrase with the following, "governed by a just Constitution". The sentence, as ammended here, would read, "One Nation, governed by a Just Constitution, with Liberty and Justice for All".Thank you. GOD Bless You and the United States of America.
- D She is living in America, getting an education in America paid for by American taxpayers, and learning American history and government. The pledge is part of the package. When she is old enough to support herself then she can assert her independence. How arrogant to think we should educate her but she can't participate in our Pledge. That's the attitude Americans were disliked for in other countries yet now we accommodate a child with the same. Ridiculous.
- Look here is the fact. The "Pledge of Alleniance" should be mandatory in all schools again. I still don't know why they decided to stop it. As an "American" it means a great deal to me. Our country has gotten way too soft. We as a nation bend over to make sure that no ones feelings get hurt. It is a huge foul that and a shame that someone is suspended for instilling "BASIC" values of the american people. We didn't get to be a great nation be just letting people have their way. Stand up America!The Pledge of Allegience isn't about what God you choose to worship. We were founded on the principal of "Freedom of Religon". I don't care what God or how many Gods you choose to worship.. or even if you believe in God.It's not about that. It's about swearing allegiance to our country. Don't be a tool... If you don't like the Pledge of Allegiance go live in Canada or Mexico... or somewhere else .because Ii can not call you a friend, brother, or a neighbor. You are straight up un American.If you think it's too hard to say the pledge of Allegiance and you can't bare your self to speak the words.. take a good hard look at people everyday that put their life on the line for you!
- I had to say the Pledge of Allegiance, but I have been out school for almost 40 years and it didn't hurt me, but time has change so much with so many different religious in school any more I won't push a child to say it. I would write a nice note home to the parents and find out why the child refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance and take it from there.
Outside USA TODAY
- Opinions were a bit more mixed on Twitter
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.