Twitter Q&A on financing for climate-friendly investment
On 12 April, UNFCCC Executive Secretary Christiana Figueres and the World Economic Forum's Tom Kerr hosted a live Twitter chat to discuss the role of climate-friendly finance. Read the highlights here
- Kicking off the discussion, the Climate Group had a question about how to increase the amount of climate finance needed to curb greenhouse gas emissions
- There were then questions about placing a price on carbon and the need for a global climate agreement...
- Tom Kerr had a clear answer:
- The chat was not just about curbing greenhouse gases with the help of climate-friendly finance, but also about the need for finance for adaptation to the inevitable effects of climate change
- Tom Kerr had something to add from the private sector perspective,,,
- @Mattias_S cautioned against putting too much emphasis on private funding sources versus public finance
- Christiana agreed...and pointed to the need for the public and the private sector to work hand in hand
- Clearly, significant climate finance can be generated by putting a price on carbon. @MorganLaManna had a question about that
- Given that the Kyoto Protocol's Clean Development has a proven track record as a significant vehicle to generate climate finance. @AliHendessi wanted to know about the CDM's future
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.