Examples of growing climate action: Technology
Read inspiring stories that show that action is happening to design and implement technology solutions to fight climate change
- (Posted 25 October) Eight US states plan to put 3.3 million zero-emission vehicles on the road by 2025, ramping up their clean technology ambition bit.ly/1a3jQeX
- (Posted 16 October) More space for climate ambition: New research shows the number of patents for solar, wind and other forms of renewable energy is skyrocketing. The increase is being attributed to market demand and a business imperative to grow green usat.ly/170ZetB
- (Posted 10 October) Primary school children in Papua New Guinea now have access to consistent power for their classrooms, thanks to newly-installed standalone solar systems delivered via banana boat! bit.ly/1gpkc6A
- (Posted 2 October) The City of Palo Alto, California is showing climate leadership at a municipal level by obliging all new homes to install charging stations for electric cars. The financial burden is small, and comes at a fraction of the cost of retrofitting an older home. bit.ly/1btmhLI
- (Posted 23 September) Sumba, Indonesia is on a clean development path to generate 100% renewable energy by 2025 using solar, wind, water...even pigs! . bit.ly/16A8E9b
- (Posted 19 September) Good news on green jobs in the UK! Full-time jobs in the wind power industry have increased 70% in three years. on.ft.com/1583OQ5
- (Posted 17 September) An inspiring new clean technology project is about to take off! The company behind Solar Impulse, the first solar airplane capable of flying day and night without using any fuel, is partnering with Google to help promote its goal of circumnavigating the globe in 2015 using only solar energy nbcnews.to/197iSP6
- (Posted 16 September) In Scotland, approval has been given to a huge tidal energy project, the largest of its kind in Europe. When fully operational, the tidal array could generate enough electricity to power the equivalent of 42,000 homes. Having lurked in the sustainable energy shadows, the seems to be turning for the wave sector! bbc.in/19463EZ
- (Posted 13 September) In Zambia, actor Mark Ruffalo joined Empowered by Light cofounder Marco Krapels to celebrate the first solar-powered, micro-grid-enabled high school. The school will serve as a showcase to all of Africa that it can leapfrog decades of fossil-fuel infrastructure and power itself using renewable energy. Star power + solar power = one cool school! Learn more: goo.gl/2SqUPa
- (Posted 12 September) Hungary is on track to climate action, powering ahead with Europe's first self-charging solar train, "Vili". Vili generates and stores its own energy, overcoming a key problem that has held back widespread use of electric vehicles: it doesn't require a recharging station to keep going bit.ly/1aBFNZp
- (Posted 12 September) Bienvenue à Paris! World's largest solar-powered boat crosses Atlantic and docks in the City of Light. Over the course of their three-month voyage, scientists on board the Turanor Planet Solar catamaran have gathered vital data on climatic role of oceans yhoo.it/14IF1lk
- (Posted 6 September) The South Korean city of Songdo can boast numerous innovations in clean technology that are turning it into an attractive hub for many people who are looking for an environmentally friendly place to live. From charging stations for electric cars to a water-recycling system that prevents clean drinking water being used to flush office toilets - Songdo is definitely a smart city to watch!
- (Posted 2 September) A Dutch "Smart Highway" has been named as one of the five winners of the world’s richest prize for environmentally responsible design. The highway will be installed in the Netherlands by the end of the year nyti.ms/1cwNQns
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 4 already did!