Jump Start Your Career
UMaine students gain a competitive edge.
- Jump Start Your Career was an event focused on helping UMaine students gain a competitive edge in the job and internship search. The afternoon included an Alumni Panel, lead by moderator Kimberly Smith of Enterprise Rent-a-Car, explained what they wished they would have known about the job search while at UMaine. After the panel, students headed to the atrium of the Donald P. Corbett Building to explore the various station in order in order to gain skills related to the job search and professional world. Topics covered included resume reviews, networking skills and business etiquette. It was a fantastic day and many prizes were given away, including the iPad. A big thank-you to all of the alumni, employers, and sponsors; Enterprise Rent-A-Car, the Maine Business School, and the Division of Student Affairs.
- Check out the company website to learn more about their missions and job opportunities.Enterprise Rent-a-Car: aboutus.enterprise.com/Verizon Wireless: http://aboutus.verizonwireless.com/aboutusoverview.htmlAthena … Health: athenahealth.com/careers/in...
James Morin '10, Sales Associate, Stryker CorporationOwen McCarthy '10, Account Manage, Ashland, Inc.
If you liked what James and Owen had to say check out this other great opportunity: The UMaine Business Challenge on.fb.me/WoFtSX
- James suggested that students read this book. Evolve from being a go-getter to a go-giver.thegogiver.com/
- He also recommended this article from the Wall Street Journal on getting the most from your resume. on.wsj.com/wg9pCs
- Find an organization to get involved with. There are over 200 on campus. Contact UMaine Student Government to find out which one fits your interests best.
Don't have a LinkedIn account yet? Create one today and begin networking. linkd.in/kmlO5
- Jobs and internships opportunities are available on CareerLink and you can apply right online. Work Study, Non-Work Study, On-Campus, and Off-Campus, they are all posted here. umaine.edu/career
- From CareerLink you can access sites such as CEI and Going Global were you can search for opportunities nationally and internationally.
- Want to network with UMaine alumni? Then check out the Maine Mentor Program. There are over 600 alumni from various departments and majors that are willing to talk with you about their careers and how they got to where they are today. bit.ly/SEF5eM
- Bob Burg even gave us a a shout out! This is why Twitter is fantastic for quick interactions with professionals and companies.
- The Career Center’s mission is to empower UMaine students to identify and reach their career goals. This mission is a collaborative effort between our staff, students, faculty, employers, and alumni. Located on the 3rd floor of the Memorial Union, they are open Monday - Friday from 8:00 - 4:30.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.