Rediscovering Salt Lake and its transformation as dynamic destination
I returned to Salt Lake after 14 years to celebrate my Mom's retirement. I was raised there and thought I knew the area. But I was pleasantly surprised that it's grown up to become a major tourism destination with sophisticated cultural and dining options set against a majestic mountain backdrop.
The Patrick Lofts in downtown Salt Lake City
- My home-away-from-home is a new top-floor loft steps away from the Calvin L. Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center, dozens of night clubs and bars along with diverse restaurants and other entertainment options to satisfy all types of tourists and visitors.
Familiar icons of Salt Lake
- The 10-acre Temple Square is familiar symbol of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or commonly known as the Mormon Church. The beautifully manicured grounds evolves throughout Utah's unique four seasons with the colors of faith and nature on full display for all to exprience.
- Salt Lakers scream for ice cream, coffee and hiking. It's no secret to people in Utah that they consume four times more ice cream than any other state in the nation.
- But one secret is the fantastic coffee culture percolating in Salt Lake. Whether its is a small cafe serving Vietnamese iced "cafe sua da" coffee to the Rose Establishment with its cup of joes and teas along with mouth-watering pasteries and the venerable Oasis Cafe, Salt Lake City's elevated coffee culture is the place for your caffeine fix.
- And where to work out those caloric bliss? I talked to friend Rebecca Walsh, former longtime Salt Lake Tribune reporter, for her recommendations for activites in and around Salt Lake throughout the year in the following audio podcast.
Blast from the Past
- Located at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, Utah, just about 40 minutes of Salt Lake City by car and about 30 minutes by the Utah Transit Authority's convenient commuter-rail line, the Museum of Ancient Life is a fun interactive space for solo travelers and families. The world-class dinosaur museum boasts one of the world’s largest collections of mounted fossils.
- The University of Utah's Red Butte Garden ranks among my favorite outdoor spots. It offers more than 100 acres of botanical gardens nestled along the foothills of majestic Wasatch Mountains.