ORCID – Why do we need a unique researcher ID?
- Open Researcher & Contributor ID (ORCID) provides a persistent digital identifier that distinguishes you from every other researcher. Wide usage and adoption of a researcher naming standard is a key component of effective research communication.
- Laurel L. Haak, Executive Director @ORCID
- Not a profile system – a switchboard.
- Researchers need to know ORCID exists, and register.
- Publishers, funders and universities are integrating ORCID identifiers.
- Speaker Martin Fenner @mfenner, PLoS Article Level Metrics Project.
- Trying to minimize amount of typing, data entry.
- Working with professional societies to collect research presented at meetings.