Great Outdoors America Week
In case you missed it, we're bringing you the top posts from Wednesday, June 26! #GOAmericaWeek!
- We kicked off the day with a congressional briefing at the U.S. Capitol. Sierra Club's Mission Outdoors team spoke to congressional staff about the importance of connecting military families with the outdoors.
- Next, we teamed up with partner organizations for our Kids, Youth and the Great Outdoors Festival where we engaged local youth in a variety of nature-based recreation and learning opportunities. Activity stations included mountain bikes, kayaks, camping 101 and live birds of prey.
- We asked everyone to share what they love most about getting outdoors...
- We were joined by Secretary of the Interior, Sally Jewell, White House Chair of the Council on Environmental Quality, Nancy Sutley, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works Jo-Ellen Darcy, Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune, and The Wilderness Society President Jaime Williams -- who gave inspiring words on keeping the next generation active and engaged in the outdoors.
- The GirlTrek team led our participants and speakers on an urban walk from the National Mall to the U.S. Capitol
- We wrapped up the day with an awards reception where we celebrated members of Congress who have worked hard to protect the great outdoors.
- Don't forget to check out the #GOAmericaWeek hashtag for a complete look at this week's festivities!
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.