Indonesia Issues Tsunami Warning After Earthquake
Indonesia issued a tsunami warning after a huge 8.9 magnitude earthquake off its westernmost province Aceh on Wednesday afternoon. Here's a look at initial reactions to the tremors across Asia on Twitter.
- News agencies initially issued breaking news reports of an earthquake around 4:45PM Singapore/HK Time:
- The epicenter of the Earthquake was confirmed to be off Banda Aceh, the same province that was devastated after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami that left hundreds of thousands dead or missing. Tsunami alerts were issued across the Indian Ocean.
- Tremors were felt in countries across the Indian Ocean, including Singapore, Malaysia and India.
- The US Geological Survey then reduced the earthquake magnitude to 8.7, with a depth of 32km.
- Many Twitter users were worried the devastation from 2004 will follow this most recent earthquake, appealing for prayers and well-wishes.
- Initial reports say it is possible for waves to reach Banda Aceh as 09:30 GMT, or 5:30PM SIN/HK time.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.