Depression Quest Harassment Campaign
Zoë Quinn made a game called Depression Quest. She published this game to Valve Corporation's Greenlight service, where users of their Steam online store vet possible new store additions. Simply the idea that the game *could* be sold on the store was enough to trigger a storm of online harassment.
- To attempt to induce Zoë to remove her game from the service, or simply to "punish" her for the perceived offence of being a woman on the internet, she was subjected to significant harassment on multiple fronts, culminating in repeated sexually harassing phone calls.Her experience is not uncommon for women publishing visible work on the internet, especially in the field of game development, where many men still believe women do not belong at all. For many women, these "raids," or organized campaigns of harassment, form a significant barrier to work equality in the industry.In Canada, indecent communications and harassing communications would both become criminal offences under bill C-13.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 8 already did!
- DracarysBobbySnobby, did you not read what she said? Ignoring it doesn't do shit to help the problem. These people got her personal number and sexually harassed her...BobbySnobby, did you not read what she said? Ignoring it doesn't do shit to help the problem. These people got her personal number and sexually harassed her, because they believe she, as a woman, doesn't deserve a voice in the world. If she ignores this and calls no attention to this problem, then the world is more likely to go on believing that we're such an equal society. At some point, we need to start acknowledging that this is a problem and deal with it, not shove it under a rug.more2013-12-13T21:43:02.782Z
- BobbySnobbyInstead of replying to them and giving them attention (which is what they want) why not just ignore them? Trying to make a big deal out of it only makes it...Instead of replying to them and giving them attention (which is what they want) why not just ignore them? Trying to make a big deal out of it only makes it worse.more2013-12-13T21:31:59.128Z
- BobbySnobbyInstead of giving them what they want (attention) why not just ignore them?2013-12-13T21:31:28.114Z
- Seiji Tanakawhy not a link to the greenlight page2013-12-13T18:27:22.064Z
- Beau BalesYou're awesome Zoe2013-12-13T16:52:22.555Z
- Nick IannoneAwesome. Love you, Zoe.2013-12-13T16:25:15.364Z