Discussing SPJ's potential name change
On August 30, media blogger Jim Romenesko wrote about a resolution proposing a name change of the Society of Professional Journalists to the "Society for Professional Journalism."
- Discussion began at the organization's Closing Business Session at the Excellence in Journalism 2013 conference.
- The resolution, available to read at EIJ News, did not pass.
- But as stated in Romenesko's story, SPJ President Dave Cuillier is creating a task force to look into the suggestion further and provide recommendations.
- — David Cuillier (@DavidCuillier)Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:39:45
- And the discussion has already unfolded on Twitter, with some supporters, some nay-sayers and others just trying to participate in a healthy discussion.
- — Scott A E II (@seldridge)Fri, Aug 30 2013 09:22:08
- — Justin Silverman (@JustinSilverman)Fri, Aug 30 2013 09:58:16
- — Justin Silverman (@JustinSilverman)Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:18:29.@romenesko If the idea is to be more inclusive of those who practice journalism, why does SPJ insist on keeping "professional" in its name?
- — John Kroll Digital (@jkrolldigital)Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:22:36Of course journos think, 'change one word & you change the world!' Had reporters who thought the same. jimromenesko.com/2013/08/30/soc ……
- — Damon Kiesow (@dkiesow)Fri, Aug 30 2013 13:11:28This @romenesko post is proof that a real name policy may clean up the language, but not the attitude of commenters: http://jimromenesko.com/2013/08/30/society-of-professional-journalists-considers-changing-its-name-to-society-of-professional-journalism/ …08/30/soc…
- — Mike Sielski (@MikeSielskiWSJ)Fri, Aug 30 2013 13:46:49Game-changer RT @APSE_sportmedia SPJ considers changing name from Society of Professional Journalists to Society for Professional Journalism
- — Rebecca Baker (@RBakerNY)Wed, Sep 04 2013 09:51:49@Spjethicschair, @davidcuillier mentioned in latest story about possible #SPJ name change. http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/30/journalist-group-considers-name-change-in-solidarity-with-bloggers/ …
- — David Chartrand (@DavidVChartrand)Wed, Sep 04 2013 13:38:55
- — David Chartrand (@DavidVChartrand)Thu, Sep 05 2013 06:45:55Is it time to teach journalism and skip the quandary over WHO is a journalist? Join the debate. See bit.ly/14ZoD3E
- Region 3 Director Michael Koretzky, who proposed the resolution, wrote a blog post explaining why he believes the name of the organization should change.
- — koretzky (@koretzky)Fri, Sep 06 2013 07:03:13Why I think SPJ needs to change its name and mission. And yes, the sixth word is "penis." http://blogs.spjnetwork.org/region3 k.org/region3
- — Journalism Buzz (@JournalismBuzz)Fri, Sep 06 2013 06:54:41
- — Ashley Jost (@ajost)Fri, Sep 06 2013 07:08:56
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!