16 Best #IdleNoMore Round Dance Videos
Bringing you the best of the #RoundDanceRevolution...here we go!
- As you know, we began our #IdleNoMore coverage with Ryan McMahon's excellent piece, that first dubbed this The Round Dance Revolution. But let's recount our favourite round dances of the countless gatherings and dances that have been held around the world since December 17th.
- And, yes Gandalf, even the hobbits were invited...
- After the round dance phenomenon started taking over every shopping centre imaginable, Twitter was quick to notice the diversity of the gatherings and their incredible power.
- So, celebrating our unity as well as our diversity, here are our picks for the 15 Best #IdleNoMore Round Dance Videos. It could well have been the Top 100, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Aho!
- #16. Denendeh / Yellowknife, NWT - December 21, 2012
- Braving -38°C temperatures, plus another -10 with wind chill, the dedicated IdleNoMore crew in Denendeh circled up in the centre of town and repped their own style with a Dene drum dance to keep the people moving and battle quick-numbing feet and toes. Love it!
- #15. San Jose, California - December 27, 2012
- Bringing together the eagle and the condor in solidarity with Indigenous Peoples of both the north and south, this rally in San Jose shows that, just like in Denendeh, it's not about duplicating the round dance tradition, it's about representing where and who you are. Amazing.
- #14. Okanagan Nation, BC - December 22, 2012
- Women from the Okanagan Nation sang beautiful songs in honour of Chief Theresa Spence at this gathering. We don't know if there was a round dance in front of the stage—but it hardly matters, these are powerful songs.
- #13. Australia - December 27, 2012
- In a rapid-fire clip of just 32 seconds, our brothers from down under represent powerfully with this song and dance of solidarity with the global #IdleNoMore movement. Warrior up!
- #12. West Vancouver - Park Royal Shopping Centre - December 23, 2012
- Representing in huge numbers, the Squamish Nation and a ton of friends, allies and family, packed into the Park Royal mall and did it up loud, west coast style.
- #11: Ottawa - Parliament Hill - December 20, 2012
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!
- Carrie RubyWaabigwan Okemawnot that im happy WEM fm got 1st...rightfully i feel saskatoon shoulda got #1...and i speak from only a good place. all those drums...i counted at least 15 or...not that im happy WEM fm got 1st...rightfully i feel saskatoon shoulda got #1...and i speak from only a good place. all those drums...i counted at least 15 or more at SK...there were maybe 10 or less but yes lots of indians! thats forsure. and correction. some of the northern cree singers were there but were late but were nonetheless still there lol...anyhow was an honor to be singing and supporting. will be singin #IdleNoMore till IM OLD AND GRAY!!! lelelellelelmore2013-01-02T22:32:47.810Z