Top 10 upsets in the 16th Lok Sabha elections
It would appear the Congress has paid dearly for the BJP's clean sweep. Many Union ministers from the previous government fell to the 'Modi's tsunami', though there were heavy-weight casualties among the BJP too. Rachitaa Gupta looks at the top losers of May 16.
- The most shocking defeat is said to be the BJP's Arun Jaitley, who lost to the Congress's Captain Amarinder Singh in Amritsar. He was one of the few BJP candidates who could not ride the Modi wave.
- An interesting -- though catty -- observation:
- Kudos to him for accepting his defeat graciously!
- Smriti Irani (BJP), despite being a favourite from Amethi and having enjoyed excessive support of Narendra Modi during campaigning, lost to Rahul Gandhi. Amethi, home ground of the Gandhi family, had witnessed one of the most epic battles between these two candidates.
- The next big defeats were faced by Rashtirya Janta Dal candidates Rabri Devi (wife of Lalu Prasad Yadav) and their daughter Misa Bharti.
- Coincidentally both lost to BJP candidates, with Rabri Devi losing the seat of Saran, home turf of Lalu Prasad Yadav.
- Following this massive defeat, Lalu Prasad Yadav (RJD chief) had this to say of Modi and BJP.
- Another notable defeat was Congress's Priya Dutt losing to Poonam Mahajan of the BJP in Mumbai.
- Dutt was also one of the few candidates who congratulated their opponents and accepted defeat with grace.
- BJP's massive win literally meant decimation of Congress candidates, several of them Union Ministers.