AP misfire sparks Twitter backlash
The Associated Press retracted a story Wednesday night about Virginia gubernatorial hopeful Terry McAuliffe, setting off a series of tweets asking how such a mistake could happen.
- — Steven Lemongello (@SteveLemongello)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:43:49AP makes huge mistake, said "TM" in docs was Va. gov. cand. Terry McAuliffe, alleged lying to feds... But wasn't him. wapo.st/16Stab8
- — Greg Mitchell (@GregMitch)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:38:01Tremendous black eye for AP. McAuliffe said the T.M. in fraud docs was not him, and he was right--so AP kills story. bit.ly/19B6W7D
- — Bob Lewis (@APBobLewis)Wed, Oct 09 2013 21:15:46The error was mine and I take responsibility for it. http://www.nbc12.com/story/23652280/report-indictment-says-mcauliffe-misled-federal-investigator …
- — Kenton Ngo (@KentonNgo)Wed, Oct 09 2013 21:14:57The @AP debacle on Terry McAuliffe was posted and retracted so fast, the story was over by the time I got to reading it! What a world.
- — John Ziegler (@Zigmanfreud)Wed, Oct 09 2013 21:06:59AP mistakingly accuses Terry McAuliffe of committing perjury because "T.M." in document was thought 2 be him? Does Louis Freeh work for AP?!
- — Charles C. W. Cooke (@charlescwcooke)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:00:03If he's innocent, my main hope is that this allegation doesn't ruin McAuliffe's reputation as an honest, stand-up, plain-dealing guy.
- — Robert Stacy McCain (@rsmccain)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:50:02Let's face it, though: If Terry McAuliffe *did* talk to a federal investigator, he lied, because he lies to everybody about everything. @AP
- — John Edwin Mason (@johnedwinmason)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:47:08Humiliating mistake. Impacts VA governor race. “@NBC29: AP has withdrawn its story alleging Terry McAuliffe lied to a federal investigator.”
- — Guy Benson (@guypbenson)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:30:01Total fail by @AP. I have almost nothing good to say about Terry McAuliffe, but he got screwed by a false hit piece. Terrible.
- — Liliana Segura (@LilianaSegura)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:41:37Wait, I'm sorry, this AP fracas boils down to someone else's initials? Someone is going to have a very bad day at work tomorrow.
- — Truersound (@Truersound)Wed, Oct 09 2013 20:54:12
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.