Using Technology To Help All Learners
Technology helps with differentiating instruction.
- I believe technology helps level the playing field for learners in the classroom. Technology used in blended learning approaches to instruction helps individualize learning for students and leads them into deeper learning. Using technology teachers and students have access to resources of varying academic levels. Information may be presented in a multimedia format that works for learners with various learning styles. There is flexibility in learning and more opportunity for choices in learning. Students will be more engaged and take ownership in their learning when they have a choice in their learning.
- Blended learning uses technology to personalize learning for students. A blended learning approach can help teachers manage student resources more efficiently and make it easier to differentiate learning for students. Students have access to materials that meet their individual needs. Reading resources can be provided at the lower reading levels and at the more rigorous and challenging levels.
- I believe blending learning offers many opportunities for the student to learn over traditional classroom instruction. It provides students with control over their learning. They can make a choices of how and when learning will happen. It provides students with time to reflect on work and the work that is shared by others. Opportunity to learn continues beyond the classroom walls. The classroom time can be used to promote deeper learning and becomes more of an active, open, and resourceful classroom.
- In Week 5 of DLMOOC the topic was Deeper Learning for a Wide Range of Learners. The students on week 5 - Lens in the Classroom shared their perspectives about low achievers and high achievers working on a particular project. A student identified lack of interest as one characteristic that leads to low achievement. Using technology learning is more flexible and choices can be made available for students. Technology helps make learning more engaging by meeting student interests and learning styles.
- Differentiating learning is imperative for the success of all students. It is a difficult for teachers to individualize the learning experience for each student in their classroom. Technology is a tool that can help teachers with differentiating instruction. As was noted in Week 5 MOOC panel discussion, providing the tools and support for teachers to succeed in helping their students is necessary. Teacher preparation in the use of technology to help with student differentiation is critical to the process. Similarly, blended learning environments require specialized training and teacher knowledge to achieve student success.