The Daily Free Press's April Fools Fiasco
Disliked College Paper Somehow Manages To Become More Hated Among BU Students
- It all started when the Daily Free Press, the main student newspaper at Boston University, decided to release their April Fool's edition.
- — The Daily Free Press (@dailyfreepress)Sun, Apr 01 2012 15:58:29Want a laugh? Pick up the FreeP tomorrow for our annual April Fools issue and your dreams will come true.
- Since April 1st fell on a Sunday this year, the issue didn't go into print until Monday, April 2nd. The content was a bit startling.
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 10:53:22
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 11:01:25Another @dailyfreepress headline "Cinderella in Political Prostitution Ring" describes FBI agent arresting the princess after she blows him.
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 11:09:21
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 11:14:02
- Needless to say, many people were outraged.
- — Brittney McNamara (@Brittneymac15)Mon, Apr 02 2012 11:02:35The @dailyfreepress continually perpetuates rape culture on campus. Do not pick it up. Ever. Even for the crossword.
- — Keori (@TheRealKeori)Mon, Apr 02 2012 11:51:45Reading the sick victim-blaming rape-endorsing shit from @dailyfreepress is turning my stomach. Are you animals? What is WRONG with you ppl?
- Trying to do damage control, the Daily Free Press issued out two tweets:
- — The Daily Free Press (@dailyfreepress)Mon, Apr 02 2012 11:56:57We want to apologize for our ill thought out April Fools issue and are so sorry for offending our readers.
- — The Daily Free Press (@dailyfreepress)Mon, Apr 02 2012 11:58:43We know an apology does not make up for the callous decisions we made, but please look out for a letter from the editors in tomorrow issue.
- By then, news about the issue had already gone viral. Everyone weighed in with reactions.
- — brian neogonzo (@dontneedroads)Mon, Apr 02 2012 12:15:07if anyone has scans/clips from BU's @dailyfreepress issue - please post links. really disappointing/disgusting stuff being heard.
- — Pam Chen (@pamelabunny)Mon, Apr 02 2012 12:19:14And we all used to joke that no one read the @dailyfreepress.. yesterday's issue confirms why we will never read it again. So disappointing.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.