Athens classic Weaver D's may close
BY LINDSEY COOK, Weaver D's Delicious Fine Foods has been serving good, southern cooking in Athens for 26 years. Owner Dexter Weaver said if business doesn't improve, he'll need to close the restaurant within the month.
- Weaver posted on his personal Facebook page Monday calling for support.
- The Red & Black followed with a story on Weaver D's money problems."[The gas company] came last week to shut the gas off, and I had to plead with them to give me an extension,” Weaver said.
- News of the beloved Athens staple's potential closing spread on Facebook and Twitter. Students, alumni and Athens residents praised the fried chicken and sweet potato casserole.
- Fans of Weaver D's encouraged followers to buy some soul food and help the business bring in needed revenue.
- After the announcement, Weaver D's braced for a rush of support from the Classic City community.
- Several events on Facebook cropped up to spread the news. One event, which had 117 attendees at the time of publication, is hosting a group lunch at Weaver D's on Friday.
- Athens band R.E.M. used Weaver D's slogan, "automatic for the people" as the title of its 1992 album. Several people suggested R.E.M. return to Athens to support the business that loaned the name of "Automatic For The People."
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!