Truman's professors among nation's worst?
University that regularly finds itself included on lists celebrating excellence spends a day on the other side after "survey" results give university professors poor marks.
- Northeast Missouri residents are accustomed to seeing Truman State included on national rankings celebrating the university's excellence.U.S. News and World Report features Truman atop various rankings on a regular basis, including a current listing as the No. 1 public university in the Midwest.
- The well-respected Princeton Review lists Truman State as one of the nation's 150 Best Value Colleges.
- Kiplinger, too, rates Truman amongst the best in the United States in terms of quality of education at an affordable price.
- Perhaps that's why a report on Yahoo! Finance came as such a surprise. According to a results compiled by RateMyProfessor.com, Truman State ranks 21st in the nation in a completely different kind of list - schools with the worst professors.
- 25 universities with the worst professors 1. U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (NY) 2. Michigan Technological University 3. U.S. Coast Guard Academy (CT) 4. Milwaukee School of Engineering 5. New Jersey Institute of Technology 6. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY) 7. Widener University (PA) 8. St. Cloud University (MN) 9. Bentley University (MA) 10. Indiana State University 11. Worcester Polytechnic Institute (MA) 12. Central Michigan University 13. Minnesota State University, Mankato 14. Pace University (NY) 15. Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ) 16. Seton Hall University (NJ) 17. Westminster College (PA) 18. Howard University (DC) 19. Iowa State University 20. University of Toledo (OH) 21. Truman State University (MO) 22. Illinois State University 23. University of Connecticut 24. Oregon Institute of Technology 25. University of Maryland
- Reaction across social media ranged from shock, to agreement, to outrage and a call for action.
- A Truman alumni who is a doctoral candidate in Educational Policy Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison also weighed in.
- Student course evaluations are not going away (much to the chagrin of some faculty members), and they may be used in institutional accountability systems as well as a very small part of the tenure and promotion process. But like many of the larger college rankings, Forbes/CCAP’s work results in at best an incomplete and at worst a biased comparison of colleges.
- It should be noted that RateMyProfessor.com isn't exactly the most secure and dependable survey system. It took the Daily Express less than 10 minutes to register on the site as a Truman State student and, armed with a list of course codes, begin rating professors on a host of important issues including whether they deserve the illustrious chili pepper logo. That high mark lets others know if a professor is "hot," as in whether students find their instructor physically attractive.Truman's professor rating discovery stemmed from data compiled for Forbes Magazine by the Center for College Affordability, which in determining the country's best colleges used performance metrics like retention, salary rankings, graduation rates and survey results from RateMyProfessor.com, not that Forbes revealed the latter category as a source up front.
- The rankings, which are compiled exclusively for Forbes by the Washington, D.C.-based Center for College Affordability and Productivity, focus on the things that matter the most to students: quality of teaching, great career prospects, high graduation rates and low-levels of debt. They do not attempt to assess a school’s reputation, nor are they a measure of academic selectivity and we pointedly ignore any metrics that would encourage schools to engage in wasteful spending.
- Does this say more about the quality of Truman State's professors, or Forbes Magazine's ranking system? For its part, Truman declined to comment on the RateMyProfessor.com scores.After all, this school had Jazz on the Quad on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon. If professors were keeping students inside instead of allowing them out to enjoy this, perhaps any dissatisfaction can be understood.
- What do you think about this "survey" and Truman professors? Tweet your thoughts to @KVDailyExpress.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.