Near-death travelling tales from #TravelCorkboard
Guardian Travel readers' holiday horror stories - thanks to everyone who contributed
- — Ricardo De Force (@shelleyanorphan)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25#travelcorkboard Walked into Tenderloin district of San Francisco, saw dead body on street with perpetrators, had to walk past them
- — luca pirovano (@lucapir)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25Slept under the stars in the national forest north of Juneau in Alaska with food on me unaware it was bear country. Oops! #travelcorkboard
- — jacqueline steel (@ArmInTheDoor)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25Terrifying coach crash in Thailand on our honeymoon 1992. I thought 'This is it... but at least I die happy' #TravelCorkboard
- — Nicola Fairhurst (@NicFairhurst)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25#TravelCorkboard French riot police, crazy Algerian football fans and flying bricks and bottles on Marseille beach at the World Cup in '98
- — Mike Ormerod (@MichaelOrmerod)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25
- — Annie Scarborough (@AnnieConnected)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25
- — Tangled Feet (@tangledfeet)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25@GemmaTravel Guatamala:watched lorry next 2 our overcrowded bus slide off sheer mountain rd as dozens of hitchhikers leapt out the back.
- — Kanika (@LeahKanika)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25#TravelCorkboard Drunk motorcyclist crashed into the Cambodian bus I was on then proceeded to shoot the bus up & light it on fire. We ran!!
- — Ally Hobson (@AllyRH)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25
- — James Brennan (@duguzzle)Wed, Dec 28 2011 03:38:09#TravelCorkboard Diving for cover in Rio bar as gunfire peppered street opposite favela, then offered coke by man with parrot on shoulder.
- — Flora Baker (@florabaker)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25#TravelCorkboard Heading into Kosovo when our bus blew up. I handed the live chicken on my lap back to its owner & chose to stay in Serbia.
- — Loretta Ko (@loretta_ko)Wed, Dec 28 2011 03:43:26
- — Anna Dunlop (@annadunlop)Wed, Dec 28 2011 04:08:53#travelcorkboard. Flat in Sydney infested by hundreds of baby spiders. Found dinner-plate sized mother nesting in bedroom. Oh, the terror.
- — Francisca Kellett (@frankellett)Wed, Dec 28 2011 05:01:39#travelcorkboard Narrowly missed being crushed to death by a falling giraffe in the Kalahari. Nasty, but quite funny, way to go.
- — smithalluk (@smithalluk)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25#TravelCorkBoard 12 days with no food. 3days with no water. In Thailand hospital, on a bed in a wailing ward of dying peopl, nxt to a sewer!
- — Mary Bolling (@marybolling)Wed, Dec 28 2011 04:28:25
- — Annette Freeman (@sendchampagne)Wed, Dec 28 2011 04:44:00#TravelCorkboard Monastery in Lhasa on festival day: caught in a huge crowd crush of devout Tibetans. Lucky to struggle out. Buddhist squash
- — Mark Gardner (@mr_teamlink)Wed, Dec 28 2011 09:54:21#travelcorkboard Stand off in middle of jungle with guides and porters after Kilimanjaro climb. Athsma attack ensued...with no doctor
- — Daniela Marchesi (@DanielaMarchesi)Wed, Dec 28 2011 04:50:20
- — James Couling (@jamescouling)Wed, Dec 28 2011 21:46:25#TravelCorkBoard Misunderstood US traffic lights leading to us turning into four lanes of oncoming vehicles on the freeway.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.