Ford asked: “What will communications technology in vehicles help us to do in the future?”
- 1) Emergency Vehicle Warnings System: If an emergency vehicles is next to you, you get a warning to let it pass. If you listen to music you often her them to late. The system would turn the volume down and would show an visual/ acoustical warning. 2) Anonymous Traffic Condition: The system would collect your cars data (postition/velocity/ESP/ABS) and send it to the cloud to create a better knowledge of the traffic conditions. This could be send back to the navigations systems and could give recommendations and warnings for your Route.And things like crash warning and so on your are already working on ;)
- I think most bases have been covered already. Mobile communication will allow all vehicles to communicate position & conditions to each other. Combined with satellite navigation systems, this will allow incidents and congestion to be automatically avoided.In terms of remote control, all of a car's functions could be controlled from a mobile device. This would allow occupants to control temperature, in-car entertainment, journey planning and of course communication.Safety - I believe the Volvo S80 was introduced with a system that automatically called the emergency services in the event of an accident, detailing the location and severity of the accident. This could be expanded upon to include the number of occupants, their heart rate (this can already be monitored by in-car systems) and automatically alert the nearest emergency vehicle equipped to handle the situation.On a more mundane note (and this won't make me very popular) the vehicle could log data and send it back to insurance companies etc. to prove fault in an accident. Speed, acceleration, voices, music volume, whether the brakes were engaged, etc. etc.Lastly, self-driving cars. A mobile device could be used to call the car to the front door and open the car door ready for you (say, if it's raining). You could then load something into the car and send it on its way to deliver the package to a destination selected from e.g. Google Maps with instructions to return once the package has been taken.
- This is really necessary because smartpohe do almost everything so cars should be able to communicate. Sync with Android for example should save some weight of electronic devices in car, I mean just put display which can be paired by NFX or Bluetooth like today and use every possible feature like GPS navigation, media (music) player etc. Of course plan track car data, fuel consumption, km drived, pernament service control...whatever you can imagine. Also safety, because your car will communicate with call center whenever something happen. So Car should be like part of DLNa devices but with more features like I wrote above.
- As an enthusiast, Ford's backing of openxcplatform.com/ is a good start. I will be able to log any data I choose. In addition, I expect my future vehicle information center to be an extension of my phone. I will be able to use the data connection on my phone to instantly upload data into third party application that can process that data in the cloud. For racing, I think it would be awesome to have better methods to sync video with the data so that when people view it they can see the log playback for throttle position and 3 axis g-force with the video.
- Connectivity IMHO will be very useful to share info between vehicles and not between people on vehicles. I mean, future vehicles will be connected via data-link, sharing info about traffic, weather, road conditions and route info. In this way traffic could be managed by artificial intelligence systems. With hi-speed connection maybe a car could be able to follow another one, reach a crossroad and follow the next one that is going in the right direction.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 3 already did!