Torsos vs Toddlers
After ripping up the internet over #torsogate, @jennatar asked parents to tweet why misogyny in games concerns them. I collected some here mainly so I've a link for when I don't have the energy to try and explain humanity to broken people, and as reminder that there are non-insane men in gaming.
- — Tweets About Torsos (@jennatar)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:10:11I have two more limbless torso hours to fill, and I'm beginning to think I want parents of daughters to really sound off. Hit me.
- — Andy Keener (@reibeatall)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:39:46
- — Joshua Dennison (@herebejoshua)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:07:29@jennatar - I have two daughters who love their daddy teaching them about games. This shit scares the ever-loving piss out of me.
- — Mike Eaton (@MrMikeEaton)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:12:01
- — Daniel Feit (@feitclub)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:16:57@jennatar my daughter is 3 mos old and, having seen this last night, I wanted to apologize to her future self when I held her this morning
- — Chris Francis (@chrisfrantastic)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:17:19@jennatar I love games more than anything, would be a shame to lose the next industry visionary because she sees BS like the torso 'bonus'.
- — Gunner McCaffrey (@FalseCountry)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:24:46@jennatar My niece has many bright geeky male friends. It nauseates me to think that as they grow their culture will tell them to hate her.
- — Johnny Kilhefner (@JKilhefner)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:32:05@jennatar my daughter's 18mos, and the backlash today gives me hope she won't have to deal with crap like this so much by the time shes 15.
- — Marc Price (@mrprice33)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:33:23@jennatar I am an editor at a gaming site and I have a 4 year old daughter who loves Kirby and Mario. I don't want her to deal with this.
- — Scott Thompson (@oksoda)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:32:31@jennatar but having a daughter has reminded me how imperative if it is for a total social reworking of gender relationships. I've promoted
- — Scott Thompson (@oksoda)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:32:36@jennatar gender equality on a local, personal level. But now I see everything around me and how pervasive gender roles and sexism are.
- — Scott Thompson (@oksoda)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:32:44@jennatar it's kind of frightening really. And even though my daughter is only 10 months old, I've already rehearsed conversations in my
- — Scott Thompson (@oksoda)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:32:47@jennatar head, explaining why girls don't play with certain toys in commercials. Why she can't play as a female character in a game.
- — Scott Thompson (@oksoda)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:32:49@jennatar and why the fuck there is a headless torso sitting on that store shelf. I just hope that, above all else, she knows she can do
- — Scott Thompson (@oksoda)Tue, Jan 15 2013 20:32:50@jennatar or be whatever she wants. I hope she defines herself by her own beliefs and values and not what is socially expected of her.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.