Live: AUSvSRI, 3rd Test, Day 1
Welcome to foxsports.com.au's live blog of day one of the third Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground, as we remember Tony Greig, celebrate Mike Hussey's magnificent career and enjoy the now annual tradition of the SCG being Australia's 'pink' Test in honour of Jane McGrath.
- And don't forget ... if you also want to re-live the action, ball-by-ball as it happened, with graphs & stats, then the Test Match Centre below is your destination.
For a while it looked like Michael Clarke’s decision to bowl first might backfire, but with Sri Lanka all out for under 300 on a decent looking pitch, it’s not a bad result. Jackson Bird was the pick of the bowlers on an entertaining day, rewarded with four wickets, while retiree Mike Hussey snared three catches.
Unlike in Melbourne, at least Sri Lanka have something to bowl at on day two. They threatened to resist Australia’s four-pronged pace attack, but neither skipper Jayawardene (72) or Thirimanne (91) could kick-on and make the big score required.
Thanks for your company today. That’s it from me for this Test. The self-proclaimed Bradman of the Blog, John Clark, will be in the chair with you on day two as foxsports.com.au keeps its bloggers fresh, away from the dreaded red zone!
- 1805: No more fitting way to end the day play than with how we started. The SCG's New Year Test is always one of the most colourful of the summer. Today, there was plenty of emotion - and celebration of life - too.
- 1755: WICKET! Sri Lanka all out for 294.
I don't know how it took that long! Bird gets the edge from Lakmal, out for 5, caught by Hussey at second slip.
Jackson Bird ends with 4/41.
- 1743: Comedy capers to close play out. Crazy running between the wickets, batsmen swatting at balls like flies ... if Starc bowls full we know how get he is - but the short stuff is a bit all over the shop.
- 1727: WICKET! Herath goes - and guess what - goes out swinging! He swings at Bird but pops it straight up to Siddle at mid-on.
He's out for 5, SRI 9/273. Sad, lame ending to what started out as a stoic innings. Bird has 3/36.
- 1725: Here comes Jackson Bird with the new ball.
- 1725: The tail are swinging like there's no tomorrow. Will be an entertaining end to the day.
- Does Aaron Finch have a twin brother we didn't know about?
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.