AFL 360 Extra: That Was Special
It's that time of the week again. Get your scarf and beanie out, settle into your comfy chair, and countdown to the footy with FOX FOOTY's Robbo and Gerard. Get involved on Twitter today with #ThatWasSpecial.
- Here are some key St Kilda stats for tonight's game, which is now less than two hours away...- St Kilda scored a goal from 17% of inside 50s last week against Gold Coast – the second-lowest percentage recorded by any side for the round.- The Saints won all four third quarters at the MCG last season, but won just one final quarter in these games.- The Saints won a hitout from 49% of ruck contests last week – the second-highest percentage of any side for the round.- St Kilda used the corridor just 13% of the time last week against the Suns – the lowest percentage of any side for the round.- The Saints finished with 58 fewer uncontested possessions than the Tigers in Round 10 last season – their second worst result on any game last season.- Beau Maister was the target inside 50 on 12 occasions last week – ranked No.1 at St Kilda and fourth in the competition.
- And the Tigers...- Richmond recorded 13 running bounces against the Blues last week – the equal-most of any team for the round.- The Tigers scored from five of their 16 kick-ins last week – the best strike rate of any side for the round.- Richmond scored from 62% of inside 50s against the Saints in Round 10 last season – its best result in any game since the start of last season.- The Tigers scored from 19% of hitouts last week – the highest percentage of any side.- The Tigers finished with 158 contested possessions against the Blues – the second-most of any side in the competition.- Richmond beat the Saints by eight points in round 10 last season. It was the first time they have beaten St Kilda since Round 19, 2003.- Jack Riewoldt kicked eight goals last time these two teams played, the second-most goals he has kicked in his 113-game career.- Brett Deledio retained possession from five out of his six kicks into the forward 50 – ranked equal-second in the competition.
- This will be another cracking match-up. It's far too early to be thinking about September, but it's a LONG road to a top-four finish for the loser of this game, who will fall to 0-2.
- Both teams looked impressive last weekend and don't forget... GWS boasts a 100% winning record over Port Adelaide - the equal most dominant streak any team in the history of the game owns over another (sure, sample size of one, but don't let facts get in the way of a good stat!)
- The Blues definitely a popular choice against Mick's former team. With a sunny day of 27 degrees currently forecast, there is every chance of a monster crowd at the MCG. We can't wait!!!
- What about shocks and upsets in the week ahead? Who do you see spoiling the party for a popular favourite? Reply @FOXFOOTY on Twitter.
- An excellent point after a near catastrophe for the Tigers last week.
- Despite their disappointing loss last week, Stan makes a very good point. Could the injection of experience be the key for St Kilda causing an upset tonight?
- Lots of love for the Tigers...
- Some final team news from the AFL...
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.