@ISAFMedia and "Dostum" Get Chummy on the Twitter
I Storify long overdue tweets of the day.
- Apparently Dostum's on the Twitter.
- Yup, this Dostum apparently has found the Twitter.The Dostum who kidnaps and attacks political rivals:
- Dozens of armed police officers laid siege on Sunday to the house of a powerful ethnic Uzbek leader, Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum, in the diplomatic district of the capital, Kabul’s police chief said. The action came after about 50 of General Dostum’s followers attacked and briefly abducted a political rival Saturday night.
- But more importantly the Dostum who (it is alleged) ordered the systematic murder of possibly thousands of Taliban prisoners that surrendered in Kunduz.
- While the deaths have been previously reported, the back story of the frustrated efforts to investigate them has not been fully told. The killings occurred in late November 2001, just days after the American-led invasion forced the ouster of the Taliban government in Kabul. Thousands of Taliban fighters surrendered to General Dostum’s forces, which were part of the American-backed Northern Alliance, in the city of Kunduz. They were then transported to a prison run by the general’s forces near the town of Shibarghan. Survivors and witnesses told The New York Times and Newsweek in 2002 that over a three-day period, Taliban prisoners were stuffed into closed metal shipping containers and given no food or water; many suffocated while being trucked to the prison. Other prisoners were killed when guards shot into the containers. The bodies were said to have been buried in a mass grave in Dasht-i-Leili, a stretch of desert just outside Shibarghan.
- Of course, Dostum denies this.
- And in 2009 returned to help Karzai with elections.
- So naturally @ISAFMedia would welcome such an illustrious member of Afghan society to the table:
- This twitmance quickly bloomed:
- Apparently Dostum has completely given up his previously anti-social anti-Taliban ways:
- Of course, Dostum's always been known for hugging it out.
- Other tweeps had some thoughts:
- And to show that he's hip and with the times, Dostum registered concern over this recent LA Times story.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.