Players react to Manny Machado's injury
Major league players turn to Twitter to express their well wishes to Orioles third baseman after seeing injury
- After watching Manny Machado crumble to the ground beyond the first base bag with an apparent left leg injury on Monday afternoon, Orioles players reacted and gave their best wishes to one of the game's brightest young starts.
While Machado was running out a ball in the top of the seventh inning in Tampa Bay, it appeared that Machado's left knee buckled and gave way as his foot came across the outside of the first-base bag. Machado quickly fell to the ground in pain, grabbing his leg and slamming his helmet to the ground.
The 21-year-old Machado, who has started every game since his call up on August 9, 2012, was carted off the field on a stretcher with his left left in an air cast.
Later that inning, second baseman Alexi Casilla was knocked out while lunging for a fly ball in right field and his head hit off Nick Markakis' leg.
Here's what Orioles players said on Twitter following the 5-4 loss:
- With the Orioles playing at 3 p.m., other major league players undoubtedly saw Machado's injury in clubhouses across the country before their night games on Monday.
Machado's best friend, Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso, was among the first to react, as was Machado's former Orioles teammate L.J. Hoes, now with the Astros.
- Other colleagues, including Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks, Braves third baseman Chris Johnson, Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista, Rangers left-hander Derek Holland and Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton also sent their prayers to Machado on Twitter.
- Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata and wide receiver Torrey Smith also sent their best.
- Both the Rays and Orioles took to their Twitter accounts to wish Machado a speedy recovery.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.