My life as a 47-year-old robot
The time an anti-Atheism+ troll failed a Turing Test for three days
- I've been having some back-and-forth with a charming Twitterer called @atheismpluscrap for a few days now. It's a troll of the old-school, enamored with four-letter words and insults, arguing disingenuously, and steeped in Dunning-Kruger. The account is so over-the-top with hypocrisy and inanity that many have wondered if it's a parody or a bot, or something. I doubt it, but the train of thought led to this tweet on Monday night...
- So I remembered back to my days on AOL Instant Messenger, and the chatbots that would crop up now and again. I remembered discovering the God one some time ago, and having a bit of fun with it. So I looked up ELIZA, a chatbot programmed in 1966 to imitate a Rogerian psychotherapist. Here's the site I ended up using for most of these (I also used an iOS app for a couple on Friday):
- From that point on, I decided to run all of @atheismpluscrap's tweets at me through ELIZA, and respond with whatever she had to say. Would the Twitter troll twig to the fact that they were talking to a robot?
- It's a marked change from the heated back-and-forth we'd been having the previous day, but @DiscountDeity chimed in to ask the question that others asked: is this account for real?
- I don't think it matters. It doesn't matter whether or not you're trying for irony when you're calling people "fuckt*rd" and "c*nt." Ironic bigotry is still bigotry.
- I decided to poke the beehive on Tuesday when I saw @atheismpluscrap active again. To be honest, I figured they had gotten wise to the ELIZA thing. Boy, was I surprised.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 6 already did!
- jaythenerdkidI am CRYING WITH LAUGHTER. I love this.2013-11-22T14:19:32.963Z
- Christopher BentonThis should be added as an optional feature for the Block Bot.2013-10-02T18:42:03.704Z
- Aratina CagePositively hilarious @Doubting_Tom and @_Ex_Astris_! I award you Honorary #FTBullies Medals of Bravery!2013-09-21T01:52:31.380Z
- SepTomberBut you do have something close to that, because you're me, at least according to that mental giant.2013-09-20T23:43:24.810Z
- oolonLOLOLOLOLOL ... Why do people call me a troll? Got nowhere close to that :)2013-09-20T23:24:50.912Z